D&D 5E Is it time for a Printed copy of the playtest?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
If you gather up all the sections of the playtest involved in character creation and merge them into one "Character Creation" PDF it is far far short of 400+ pages. If you don't already have one you can score a cheap duplex B/W laser printer on Craigslist/Ebay and a heavy duty stapler for next to nothing.

If you want to go really cheap don't include the spell PDF in each packet, but print out a few to give to the casters only.

Then you can print out character creation packets in the comfort of your own home for next to no money. Extra handy when you have to keep reprinting packets because the rules are constantly shifting.

Go to lulu publish section and upload the files, arrange order as required. You can even make it private so you won't be violating any copyright stuff. Use the images theme and upload 2 images, front and back cover - there is heaps of open content art you can use MS Paint to add a title to! Get it POD with the coil binding and viola, printed lay flat DnDNext for next to nothing :)

http://www.lulu.com/publish/books/?cid=nav_bks

darjr

I crit!
[MENTION=6690511]GX.Sigma[/MENTION] Looks like those folks would print and ship it for less than $20. [MENTION=4881]Sabathius42[/MENTION] the 400+ pages includes multiple copies and DM stuff, though I could do without printing that.
[MENTION=55946]mach1.9pants[/MENTION] the lulu option always seemed like a pain, but that's probably just my perception, I'll check it out.

I brought the PDFs of B/X DnD, used a open source PDF cutter to remove the title page and back page. Copied the title and the back to images in paint. Uploaded the lot (using the images in the cover creator) and have them winging their way to NZ now. 9 bucks each or something, and lulu postage is like 1/3 the price of a lot of RPG suppliers (maybe they are not coming from the US). It is easy as hell and cheap too

I also use a fre PDF combiner to combine the PDFs into one big PDF. That is 443 pages at the last packet but:

Just the players info: is 144 pages (lulu: $6.28+shipping perfect bound or $11.32 coil bound, coil has to use slightly more expensive paper)
For the DM, the above and DM stuff (not adventures): 283 pages $9.06 or $15.49 for coil.

I have discovered, and I will be checking out the quality first (but other stuff I have got of lulu has been fine), that buying a PDF uploading it to lulu and having them ship it to me is often a lot cheaper than buying RPG books from their makers, esp postage to NZ.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I hope someone at WotC is listening. I would so rather give them the money.
I don't think they're interested in printing unfinished rules that'll be obsolete within months (and I don't think many people are interested in buying them).

Remove ads