Is Kingdoms of Kalamar worth it?

Rune

Once A Fool
One thing that I love about Kalamar is that it has all of the tension of Europe just prior to WWI. Everything (at least one hook per paragraph) is set and ready for that one spark from the DM to launch into action. Some of these events are small and some are huge. If you are a very good DM (which I, unfortunately, am not) you can have it all happen at the same time. Otherwise, it can happen as the PCs encounter the results.

Another great thing about the setting is that it encourages interaction with rival adventuring parties.

kenjib

First Post
Disciple of Darwin said:
The Empire has the might to convince pirates their aren't welcome in these waters

...and if that doesn't work, they have enough wealth to BUY them all and use them against their enemies. :)

Doc Century

First Post
Re: ?

die_kluge said:
Jeff -
I knew a Jeff Parker once. You don't happen to have a twin brother named John Parker, do you?

No twin brothers (that I know of!).

Thanks for all the replies, everybody. It got me really stoked to go out and buy the book, but the gameshop that I go to, which has had a copy on the shelves ever since it was released, is sold out! Arrrrghhh! Can't...stand...the wait! Ah, well. I'll just have to go to the other gameshop I frequent.

Doc

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Sayburr said:
"Harvest of Darkness" is actually four short adventures that are designed to be placed in-between other adventures. It is not actually designed to take characters from first to tenth level, but to use one of the four when the characters are high enough from other adventures to survive.
How short are they? If you wanted a series of one to two session one shots would they do?

Actually, I just wanted to say that there is an entire group in the Kalamar setting dedicated to Necromancy and they are in several of the modules. It is not Scared Lands Necromancy but they are very prevalent in Tellene.
Actually since they don't come with any attached rules it could very well be the system Scarred Lands uses on a rules-end.

Sayburr

First Post
How short are they? If you wanted a series of one to two session one shots would they do?

I think each of the adventures were originally released for 2ed D&D as a 16 page module with about four ImageQuest Illustrations and about two pages for appendix. I believe they would work good for a single game session.

I have not played any of them yet. My players were too high for the first one by time I got the module. The second one involves the Mother of Elements in a negative way and since one of the players character is a cleric dedicated to the Mother of Elements I didn't want to run it. I do plan on running the third and fourth adventure though.

Here is a link to a review for it:
The reviewer didn't care for the first adventure but liked the other three.

http://www.atfantasy.com/index.php?CatID=4&DocID=3518

Remove ads