Is Pathfinder 2 Paizo's 4E?

Imaro

Legend
The success is because they paid attention to what was popular and what wasn't. I don't see how that's a particularly controversial statement, tbh.

Another way of stating this is that they paid attention to what people wanted their play experience to be like...

Arilyn

Hero
What about the collapse of Goblinworks and Pathfinder Online?
What about the crowdfunded miniatures fiasco where a lot of Paizo customers were left out of pocket from the fallout?

First of all, calculated risk does not mean nothing fails! Paizo has tried many things that didn't work. That's perfectly normal.

Secondly, Goblinworks is not owned by Paizo. They just paid to use PF license. And weren't the miniatures a third party company as well?

I'm getting the sense you're just wanting to bash Paizo. 😂

First of all, calculated risk does not mean nothing fails! Paizo has tried many things that didn't work. That's perfectly normal.

Secondly, Goblinworks is not owned by Paizo. They just paid to use PF license. And weren't the miniatures a third party company as well?

I'm getting the sense you're just wanting to bash Paizo. 😂
The point was these risks were taken but they were not at all calculated. In fact these risks seem to have been taken naively.

Lisa Stevens is the CEO of Paizo. And the CEO of Goblinworks.

With the miniatures fiasco Paizo were warned and cautioned repeatedly to not to engage that company. They still chose to go ahead and make the deal. Causing lots of their customers to be out of pocket. Causing that crowdfund to collapse. But Paizo did not lose anything. So no skin off their teeth right?

Not all the risks they take are considered or thoughtful. Especially after having been warned and cautioned repeatedly against something.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I have played 5E since it's release after finally changing from Pathfinder 1E. I didn't play the playtest mostly because I was playing 5E.

So far Pathfinder 2E is wonderful! It isn't what I would have wanted for a second edition back when I played Pathfinder 1E BUT it's exactly what I want after playing 5E for the past five years.

S'mon

Legend
On the contrary, there are several companies who focus on making third party 5E content. Kobold Press and Goodman Games are prime examples (Into the Borderlands is the best-selling product in Goodman Games history).

Yes. My gut instinct is that 5e branded Paizo material would sell very well. Their APs run a lot better in 5e than in PF. Their typical potential customer rejected 4e for PF but then went to 5e. And newbies all want to play 5e. Paizo brand strength plus 5e system would be the strongest combo imo.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases