• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is "psionic" an accepted word in standard English?

JEL

First Post
Dogbrain said:
The OED definition is, and I quote in full:

Pertaining to or involving ‘psi’.

Interesting. IIRC, the word is a combination of "psi" + "electronic" in the same way "bionic" is "bio" + "electronic."

Tom Cashel

First Post
psi is the 23rd letter of the Greek alphabet (Hail Eris!), and also "parapsychological psychic phenomena or powers," according to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (10th ed.).

thundershot

Adventurer
Hell, years ago, I used to wonder why the word "teleport" kept coming up as an error in my spellcheckers when I wrote stories, and then went to look it up in the dictionary, and lo and behold, TELEPORT was not in there! Not sure if eventually got added in the last couple years, but it really threw me for a loop..

Chris

Gez

First Post
Yes there are. They're called onomatopoeia. For example, "to sing" is a made-up verb. "To mew" isn't, it's mimickry.

ecliptic

First Post
i know this too.

but when i heard people pronouncing it.. it wigged me out. it is like kids nowadays saying: LoL

Pronouncing THAC0 is no different then someone pronouncing any other acronym such as HAZMAT or the countless military ones. It is alot easier to say "Thaco", then it is to say "To Hit Armor Class Zero".

Last edited:

Remove ads