D&D 5E Is Rime of the Frostmaiden the deadliest 5e campaign (probable spoilers)?

Sacrosanct

Legend
You seem really invested in justifying why your DM didn't make it clear the crystals were ice crystals. Blink twice if he's in the room and watching your posts.
No, I'm just arguing against the idea that unless the DM makes it clear that it's ice and no other type of crystal, then they are cheating.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
It's ICEwind Dale: RIME of the FROSTmaiden, not GEODwind Dale: CRYSTAL of the GLASSmaiden. If the players make it all the way through to the fight with Auril and don't assemble the context clues that ice is kind of her thing, I don't know what to say.

That said, the DM should also clearly describe it as ice. It should be cold, for one thing.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's ICEwind Dale: RIME of the FROSTmaiden, not GEODwind Dale: CRYSTAL of the GLASSmaiden. If the players make it all the way through to the fight with Auril and don't assemble the context clues that ice is kind of her thing, I don't know what to say.

That said, the DM should also clearly describe it as ice. It should be cold, for one thing.
You're saying the PC should feel the cold from an ice cube from 10-60 feet away, when it also happens be right next to Auril in her ice form?

Ok...sure..

Sacrosanct

Legend
But again, that is ignoring the more important factor: that it's immune to everything except fire. I still haven't seen anyone respond to my comment about how a PC will use something historically more effective than a torch or other fire attack first. Arguing about whether the PCs should assume it's ice isn't really all that important and misses the point.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
But again, that is ignoring the more important factor: that it's immune to everything except fire. I still haven't seen anyone respond to my comment about how a PC will use something historically more effective than a torch or other fire attack first. Arguing about whether the PCs should assume it's ice isn't really all that important and misses the point.
But if you realize it's ice, it's a pretty obvious second weapon to try once the first one fails to do any damage to it.

Retreater

Legend
It's okay, everybody. It was a flawed adventure.
We all make mistakes. (I certainly made my share while running this adventure.)
From here we should all learn the lesson that WotC is not infallible, that no adventure (regardless of how well reviewed it is) can stand up on its own merits to not need additional content, planning, description, and heart from the Game Master.

I would add "fairness" to that list. Any adventure is deadly if you have a killer DM.

I'm currently working on adapting "Call of the Netherdeep" into something that might actually work!

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Sure, it was obvious that we should use fire, but we were all still so traumatized from the incident where we tried to use fire on a troll and the DM flipped the table over in a rage that we didn’t dare try it here. But by the time we roleplayed through all the other types of damage it was a TPK.

Everyone there agreed it was some fine roleplaying, though.

Remove ads