• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the Age of Hardcover Gluttony over?

Mercurius

Legend
I started gaming back in the early 80s when a new AD&D hardcover book was a rare and wondrous thing. I remember rushing down to the local game store to pick up a new copy of Dragonlance Adventures or Manual of the Planes or Monster Manual 2. From 1977 to 1987 there were 11 unique hardbacks printed (13 if you include Dragonlance and Greyhawk Adventures), which is about one a year. 2nd edition, starting in 1989, wasn't much different, at least not until the mid-90s Skills & Powers phase (that was during one of my gaming hiatuses, and from what I've heard I didn't miss much, but I digress).

In 2000 came 3rd edition and with it a new golden age for D&D, after the dark ages of the late 90s. At first it seemed that the same trend would continue: a few hardbacks a year with a lot of softcover supplements. Then 3.5 came out in 2003 and what began was a flurry of tons of hardcovers over the next five years. I don't have a publishing history handy, but I read somewhere that during the entire 3rd edition phase--2000 to 2008--there were about 100 hardcovers published, which averages to about 12 a year!

4th edition has carried on this tradition of one hardback a month, for the most part. Occasionally they'll skip a month but then they might publish two in one month (I think a couple times three). But now we have Essentials coming and the core products are box sets and digest-sized softcover books. This got me wondering: Is the age of hardcover books ending? Or at least the age of hardcover gluttony? If so I think there is a very clear reason why: money, specifically the downturn in the economy.

I'm going to take myself as an example. I am a teacher at a private high school on a beginning salary and have little extra income. My wife and I budget ourselves $150 a month each in personal spending of which about a third goes to gaming products (for myself), sometimes more, sometimes less. When 4E first came out I made sure to buy every single hardcover. Then I started realizing that many of them I would briefly browse and then place on my shelf. There are a few D&D Insider accounts in my gaming group so almost everyone used Character Builder to make characters. I decided that I would no longer purchase the "Power" books and actually sold off the two that I had. Of the rest, there are books that I will automatically purchase like the campaign settings, but most everything else varies.

When I started investigating the Essentials line and it became of great interest to me, I pre-ordered pretty much everything in my Amazon Prime account. I barely hesitated, both because I am very interested in Essentials (and I can always cancel orders if I don't like the Red Box) but also because the price-point is less daunting, especially with Amazon prices.

Let's take Rules Compendium as an example. The Essentials version has an MSRP of $19.95, or $13.46 on Amazon. It is 320 pages and, I am guessing, doesn't have significantly less words-per-page than the hardcovers. Even if it has a quarter to a third less, we're talking about the equivalent of a 200-ish page hardcover for $20 (or less than $14). Compare that to the $30-35 (or $20-23) price-point of the hardcovers. It is about $10 less per book.

The digest-size seems particularly good for softcovers because they are less prone to tear and bend.My Volo's guides are in better shape than my 3E splats. And while I love hardcovers, I like the idea of them becoming special again--campaign guides, major core rules releases, maybe 4-6 a year rather than 10-12. It also just makes economic sense: Wizards of the Coast may actually make more money selling cheaper books because the profit margin probably isn't all that different per book.

We don't know if this trend will continue with D&D--my guess is WotC doesn't know either, but they're trying it out. If it works for them I would think we might see this with other companies.

What do you think?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
In 2000 came 3rd edition and with it a new golden age for D&D, after the dark ages of the late 90s. At first it seemed that the same trend would continue: a few hardbacks a year with a lot of softcover supplements. Then 3.5 came out in 2003 and what began was a flurry of tons of hardcovers over the next five years. I don't have a publishing history handy, but I read somewhere that during the entire 3rd edition phase--2000 to 2008--there were about 100 hardcovers published, which averages to about 12 a year!
I agree with your assessment -- 3.5 was definitely the golden age of hardcovers with 15-20 released each year for the duration of 3.5. Since the start of 4e, this has dropped a little, with 10-15 being the range for the last three years. If the Essentials format sells well, I can definitely see WotC reducing the number of hardcovers each each year moving forward.

Attachments

• Hardcovers.jpg
    Hardcovers.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 308

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
I'm not sure where this printing obsession with hardcover format has come from.

This has also infected the comic book industry, with most trade paperbacks coming out in Hardcover first, where before the only Hardcovers were prestigious graphic novels or things like the Marvel Masterworks collections.

I just have to think the margins for a Hardcover has some gains over Paperback/Softcover. I can't see a lot of demand for it. I know that the hardcovers tend to be more durable, but they are also bulky.

AllisterH

First Post
My understanding of it was that Hardcovers tend to have better margins.

That said, my understanding of why WOTC went to Hardcovers in the 3.5 era was to distinguish themselves from the pack of 3pp products.

Barastrondo

First Post
I'm not sure where this printing obsession with hardcover format has come from.

In part, from distributors and retailers. In the days of the d20 boom, there was just so much product coming out each month that the retailers had to decide what to buy and what not to buy. Hardcovers became one of the quickest criteria for people who didn't want or couldn't afford to stock everything: buy hardcovers, pass on softcovers. It was a real pressure for many manufacturers to put everything in hardcover just so most stores would look at it.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Hardcovers became one of the quickest criteria for people who didn't want or couldn't afford to stock everything: buy hardcovers, pass on softcovers. It was a real pressure for many manufacturers to put everything in hardcover just so most stores would look at it.

Of course, now that leaves us with inflated prices and if Hardcover is the default now there needs to be a different way to weeding out the wheat from the chaff.

I just hate to see a high-priced format over-used. I remember in comics when the "Prestige Format" books were really something special and rare, then in the early 90s it became an excuse to release annuals and one-shots.

Not so much a concern then, but with the economy today this can't work the way it used to.

Then again, The older hardbacks were preferable to the soft's because of durability issues, particularly the bindings and the glue.

But starting about 3rd ed the quality of the HBs started to fall also. I had to rebind two PB and one DMs (the last I just put in a binder and said 'good'). By comparison, though I have lost (damage and borrowed) many 1st and 2nd ed books, I haven't had ANY of them fall apart in over twenty years.

If they could get the old quality of construction, new information inside, interesting topics for the game setting, I would be willing to support a $45 book every four to six months.

Today....Not happening...

JeffB

Legend
to answer the title question-I certainly hope so. The ever increasing prices of gaming books since the early D20 days has kept me out of local stores completely , and has even drastically reduced my purchasing online as few books are so useful that I'll ever get my moneys worth out of it.

Though HIGHLY improbable I'd love to see a return to mostly B&W (or similar 2 tone, like the OGB FR set) softovers with minimal art-something along the lines of the Moldvay/Cook/Marsh sets (though art for all the monsters is def necc) I'm glad to see WOTC at least producing some softcovers again at reasonable prices (essentials), and I'd like to see more of it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Well, the late 2000's does have something in common with the late 1970's -- the economy was in a downturn then, too, and the majority of publishers were really small-time affairs, really a lot of the time a half-dozen employees and a dream.

We might be seeing an economic reason, but I also don't think we can use the next six months of WotC releases as a gauge - the essentials stuff is a different kind of project that WotC is trying, and we might well see the return of tons of hard covers in 2011. Once we've seen Paizo, WotC, etc. all changing to softcovers for a long-term, then I'll say, "It's the economy, stupid." :)

I will say that the past three months I've bought more game books than any time in the past five years. My situation is a lot better personally than five years ago, and I've bought the Eberron Campaign Setting, Demonomicon, Monster Manual 3, Dark Sun Campaign setting, a pack of D&D minis, AND the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide all in the space of 3 months!

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Man, I sure hope the era of every D&D book being a hardback is over. I really dug how the early 3e splatbooks were softcover and B&W. Affordable and meant to be given use at the table. I know some say that the hardcovers make the books more durable - and they do, of course - but hardcovers can also be seen as collectibles by some, and end up little-used by the owner and (especially) anyone else who might want to refer to them.

As some have said, hardbacks should be reserved for special books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads