Is The Expanse RPG becoming vaporware?

practicalm

Explorer
This is the update I received this month from a kickstarter that was supposed to deliver December of 2013.

Not even signed with a name.

Luckily, I've also had pretty much every other kickstarter come through. Even if some were a bit late.

This is why I pretty much avoid Kickstarter software projects. Too many things can go wrong.

Bagpuss

Legend
The announcement was made in January 2018, it started with a release date of GenCon. Without any real explanation that date was quietly forgotten and a late 2018 date (I believe November correct me if I am wrong) was given.

Kickstarter had a release date of Jan 2019, from the beginning. However yes it was announced they had the license GenCon 2017 and the original plan at that was to release for the next GenCon, I expect by the time the kickstarter went live they had a better idea of how long it was all going to take.

RPG kickstarters on the whole are generally more successful than others from what I've heard, although you get use to them overrunning.

Of the kickstarters I've backed only computer game ones have ever seemed like they just weren't going to happen, even Wurm RPG which over ran by two years, originally June 2016, finally June 2018, was completed.

So did people receive their rewards? It is less than a week from May so by my book we are definitely no longer in "early 2019" and everything on Green Ronin still says "Coming Soon".

I know everyone talks about how long game design takes, how people estimate time bad, etc etc. But this is not three part time gamers and their pet turtle that started a Kickstarter for their homebrew that they are doing on the side. This was an announcement from a legit gaming company that should be able to manage things like this.

Bagpuss, just saw your post. How can you say they had a release date of Jan 2019 from the start when their website and your very post states that they were aiming for a release of Gencon 2018?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Kickstarter had a release date of Jan 2019, from the beginning.

So did people receive their rewards? It is less than a week from May so by my book we are definitely no longer in "early 2019" and everything on Green Ronin still says "Coming Soon".

I know everyone talks about how long game design takes, how people estimate time bad, etc etc. But this is not three part time gamers and their pet turtle that started a Kickstarter for their homebrew that they are doing on the side. This was an announcement from a legit gaming company that should be able to manage things like this.

Bagpuss, just saw your post. How can you say they had a release date of Jan 2019 from the start when their website and your very post states that they were aiming for a release of Gencon 2018?

The Kickstarter PDFs had a release date of November 2018 and hardcopies of January 2019. The PDFs have delivered, I believe as of last month. It's now apparently gone to print.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I received the PDF and am happy to wait a few months to get the hard cover. Would rather they get it right than meet deadlines.

If getting something by a specific date, or being assured of getting it at all, is important to you, don't do Kickstarter.

Bagpuss

Legend
Yeah, it has gone to print after a last round of errata following the updated PDF a little while ago. No matter how much they check them when you release the PDF there are so many more fresh eyes on it there are always a few extra errata so it is worth holding off before going to print. I'm pretty use to delays on RPG releases, although I believe on average RPG kickstarters tend to be more successfully complete than boardgames, and considerably more than computer game kickstarters.

Nothing on kickstarter is a safe bet, but I've not had a RPG fail to deliver (or have one be on time for that matter).

CapnZapp

Legend
Question: during the Kickstarter, was there ever any plans for a campaign.

Just yet another ruleset with a light Expanse skin doesn't do it for me.

If I'm going to invest in a new RPG I'm going to do it for the stories. The stories I can purchase as ready-made published campaigns, that is.

(Far too many licensors just write a rulebook, maybe a couple of campaign world supplements, and that's basically it.

Me, I've got a dozen perfectly serviceable rules engines already, and far too many sourcebooks I haven't even read.

What I'm after is quality adventures. Stories that give my players a similar look and feel as reading the source material.)

Last edited:

Question: during the Kickstarter, was there ever any plans for a campaign.

Just yet another ruleset with a light Expanse skin doesn't do it for me.

If I'm going to invest in a new RPG I'm going to do it for the stories. The stories I can purchase as ready-made published campaigns, that is.

(Far too many licensors just write a rulebook, maybe a couple of campaign world supplements, and that's basically it.

Me, I've got a dozen perfectly serviceable rules engines already, and far too many sourcebooks I haven't even read.

What I'm after is quality adventures. Stories that give my players a similar look and feel as reading the source material.)

My GUESS and this is purely a GUESS is that you will be disappointed if for no other reason than 99% of products like this are a sourcebook maybe one or two followup books and that is it. The numbers game just says you are not going to get what you want no matter how cool it would be.

The Kickstarter PDFs had a release date of November 2018 and hardcopies of January 2019. The PDFs have delivered, I believe as of last month. It's now apparently gone to print.

I wish people would stop saying this it is not accurate. The ORIGINAL release by Green Ronin in January 2018 stated a full release date of Gencon 2018. They have since changed the press release but retconning their press release does not make it fact. They stated that a limited run of hardcovers would be available at Gencon and that did not come anywhere near to happening.

So Kickstarters slip, maybe this is a normal amount, but Green Ronin is supposed to be a grownup company and I expect that they do better communication and better than missing release dates by an entire year.

FYI. Just checked the PDF of the rules still states coming soon on their website, so anyone that says it is available right now, that is not true.

Remove ads