• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is The Forum Getting More Antagonistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
From my perspective the biggest contributor to animosity is the tendency to sideswipe other editions and other games that are not the subject of the discussion. It effectively makes the thread about those games as people rightfully feel the need to respond to those sideswipes. Like in a 5e thread throwing around unnecessary references to other editions to make some sort of point seldom results in more effective communication. The same is largely true to unnecessary calls out to mainstream games in threads about indie play for insistence.

Zardnaar

Legend
Can someone give me a tldr rundown of the indie game drama? Think I've missed that.

To me it's about variety with indie games. They could be the biggest steaming pile of manure in a genre that doesn't interst me whatsoever and their existence doesn't bother me one iota.

Basically it's not my cup of tea and no one's forcing me to drink it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It effectively makes the thread about those games as people rightfully feel the need to respond to those sideswipes.

We talk about how to pretend to be elves. This is not momentous stuff. Nobody's getting seriously harmed. No lives will be lost if someone on the internet is wrong about your favorite edition or game.

So, no, there is no rightful need to respond.

That doesn't make it okay for folks to take mean-spirited sideswipes at stuff that other people like. That's crummy behavior. But getting into a fight over it doesn't help anyone.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think you will find very few "official" (+) threads.

And if your disagreement is not so interesting that it can support its own conversation, maybe that tells you something.

By official I meant one thread will take off and one won't and a lot cones down to name recognition of the poster.

I generally check that there's no other thread with the same or similar title.

I bet I could start a thread about game mechanics for example that will get more responses than Bob123.

I don't post as much as I used to due to places like reddit/ real lifefor example but game mechanics still interest me.

Not sure its "just" edition change.

Conversations tend to polarize into to sides and go downhill more frequently IMO.

Been bothering me for a while.
It's not just the edition change. I noticed it happening before that announcement.

I might be too positive of a person, but often I see threads about news on something and go in to a thread to get information or insight… and experience a lot of negativity a lot of the time. And derailments.

I understand that not everyone is going to be happy about each announcement, but it can be deflating at times.

Still, this is a good forum, I don't want to dismiss that.

Thomas Shey

Legend
That doesn't make it okay for folks to take mean-spirited sideswipes at stuff that other people like. That's crummy behavior. But getting into a fight over it doesn't help anyone.

On the other hand, assuming people won't get into a fight when someone sideswipes something they're attached to is a--take. That happens about music, sports teams and makes of cars, why would you expect it to be different here?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
On the other hand, assuming people won't get into a fight when someone sideswipes something they're attached to is a--take. That happens about music, sports teams and makes of cars, why would you expect it to be different here?

Who said anything about what I expect?

I expect humans to behave like humans. Sometimes, human behave in crummy ways. That I expect this does not mean that I should not call it out as crummy, or counsel for something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads