D&D 5E Is the stun from Psychic Scream permanent if it is impossible to make the save?

ECMO3

Hero
It does not look like Psychic Scream has a duration or concentration, just a save every round to end. So if a 20 Int Wizard (DC19) hits someone with it and they have a 3-7 Intelligence it would be permanently stunned correct?

Dausuul

Legend
Correct. Since a nat 20 does not auto-succeed on a save in 5E, this is effectively a perma-stun for any creature with -2 or worse, unless the target gets their save bonus increased (e.g., by resistance) or receives a spell or effect that removes the stunned condition.

By my reading, the stun can't even be dispelled, but one could argue that point.

pukunui

Legend
Yep. My high-level barbarian got perma-stunned by psychic scream. I forget how the others healed him but it required some other high-level spell.

pukunui

Legend
Maybe Greater Restoration? It doesn’t technically remove stunned, but it feels like an appropriate way to rule that such a perma-stun could be ended.
Maybe! I honestly can't remember. All I know is my barbarian couldn't make the save even with a nat 20 but the others somehow found a way to end the effect so that I wouldn't have to make a new PC!

Remove ads