• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the time right for electronic dice?

ppaladin123

Adventurer
My hands are cursed; any dice they touch become low rollers. Maybe electronic dice would remedy that situation. I think though that I'll try a dice tower before I give up and start calling for an electronic alternative. I'd miss the tactile sensation and the thrill of anticipation as the dice teeter between the 2 and the 19. :)

Nebten

First Post
Not really, but I am a fan of pre-rolled numbers. When my rogue was getting up there in levels, I just had a excell sheet of pre-rolled 8d6 since he had 5 attacks in a round. So it was easier to roll a d20, then a d4, but even then it got funky with everybody's bonuses to damage floating around. I also encourage this for the ninja playing in my game. No so much for the wizards since that their big spell going off and its enjoyable to count up all those little dice. Plus it really is a time and fun saver.

Thakazum

Explorer
Considering that there is no such thing as a truly random number in electronics or computing, I would say no. Plus tabletopping is one of my ways to get away from technology so I'm biased.

fba827

Adventurer
Personally, if I ever -wanted- electronic dice, that would be the day I didn't play a tabletop RPG with friends and instead played an RPG on console.

I prefer to be minimal technology when table-top RPGing (except when DMing, I need my laptop for all my notes at quick reference)... anything more than that and people seem as focused on their 'gadget' as they are with the rest of the players, and i'd rather have more focus on the people if i'm there with them.

Just my personal opinion on it.

Henrix

Explorer
D&D isn't a buckets o'dice game by far.

I remember playing (1e) Champions - my brick character rolled 24d6 with a haymaker.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I love rollin' me some dices! :p But I prefer low-level play, so counting up handfuls of die is rarely a problem.

In the past, though, we've used rolls-plus-average to speed gameplay. It's not as satisfying to me, but it can be a time-saver for big rolls: just average most of the die (an even number), and only roll 3 or 4 actual die.

For example, 17d6 becomes 3d6+AVG(14d6) = 3d6+(14x3.5) = 3d6+49.
A lookup table makes this super easy, even for the multiplicationally challenged among us. B-) I suppose one could even pare this all the way down to rolling just 1 or 2 die for each dice type in the roll, though that probably won't float most boats....

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Considering that there is no such thing as a truly random number in electronics or computing, I would say no.
You honestly think a typical gamer's polyhedrals -- or even the atypical GameScience polyhedrals -- are more random than a seeded random generator? Really?

Plus tabletopping is one of my ways to get away from technology so I'm biased.
Are you sure? Have you run a chi-square test on yourself?

Me, I'm torn. I love rolling dice. I hate rolling handfuls of dice (or d4s in any quantity). I'm a geek, so I like tech. That acceleromator-driven dice-app on iPhone is sweet. So I'm torn.

Vartan

First Post
Did you only play melee characters in 2E? I ask this because even at 5th level, Wizards were starting in on their path towards buckets full of dice with Fireball & Lightning Bolt. 4E is by no means out of line with previous editions in using numerous amounts of dice for dealing damage.

I spent most of my time behind the screen during 2E, but when I played I preferred to play thieves or mages. I suppose it was a matter of expectations in my case: when I was playing a mage I expected to roll tons of dice on a high-level fireball, but I was surpsied at the amount of rolling I do playing a high-level Rogue in 4E.

P

PaulofCthulhu

Dragonbone a deux! :)

<sigh> Image decided not to attach. Oh well.

I hear those iPhone/iPod Touch dice rollers are pretty spiffy. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads