D&D 4E Is there a 4E wiki online?

Mort_Q

First Post
You make it sound like protecting your intellectual property is akin to censorship.

What kind of information are you looking for?

phil500

First Post
something like the d20 srd.

as for the censorship comment- i feel like ddi promised a virtual tabletop + other stuff for the fee, but we never got the one thing that woulda been worth mmo pricing.

Mort_Q

First Post
I haven't found anything online like the old SRD sites, no. I also suspect that this is due to the licensing structure for the 4e system.

That said, though I do too want the gametable, the other D&DI stuff is worth... whatever I'm paying... which I honestly can't remember at the moment.

[edit] Even at the new pricing which starts in July, if you pay upfront for a year, that's $5.95/month, which is a lot less than I pay for my coffee habit.

Did I mention that I'd use the gametable? <sigh> [/edit]

Last edited:

mkill

Adventurer
something like the d20 srd.

As a player, I would have preferred if WotC would have offered something similar to the d20 srd for 4th edition, but it's their IP and their business model and they have to know for themselves what's good for their product.

The long answer is probably that WotC is now part of Hasbro, a large multinational, and whoever killed the d20 srd knows a lot about big business and nothing about the piddly $30 mio niche market that is the RPG industry. Ah well.

as for the censorship comment- i feel like ddi promised a virtual tabletop + other stuff for the fee, but we never got the one thing that woulda been worth mmo pricing.

Wizards is a publishing house. They know a lot about putting stuff on paper, but they are bad at anything digital. They can't even do a forum right, or an online character generator.

I'm glad they killed the digital gaming table, because sooner or later it would have cost enough money to kill D&D. I wouldn't mind an online gaming table, but leave that to a company that knows how to create something like that.

It was a huge mistake to announce it at the time, because it was nowhere finished. And it created the whole 4th edition = MMO myth, but that's a different story.

Btw, if you're looking for a wiki as in wiki:
Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

Baumi

Adventurer
The DDI Compendium comes close to it. It even has the the Feats, Powers, etc. from ALL books instead of only the first 3. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
If you're looking for an equivalent to the SRD, you're talking about the Compendium; there isn't anything free. The GSL doesn't allow rules restatement in the same way the OGL did.

I have no doubt the virtual tabletop is coming, though; Greg Leeds (WotC's president) flat out told me it was an important part of their strategy at last year's GenCon. I suspect it'll be the DDI next adventure tool to be released. I had actually anticipated something else first (like a sill challenge/encounter generator), but it's been too long for something so relatively easy. My suspicion is that they're making sure they get it right before they even announce it.

renau1g

First Post
Wizards is a publishing house. They know a lot about putting stuff on paper, but they are bad at anything digital. They can't even do a forum right, or an online character generator.

I'm glad they killed the digital gaming table, because sooner or later it would have cost enough money to kill D&D. I wouldn't mind an online gaming table, but leave that to a company that knows how to create something like that.

Actually, they aren't bad at anything digital. The character generator is far superior to anything put out by any company to date. Are there bugs? Sure. Does even the most polished video game have bugs? Yup. I'm sure nobody says "Blizzard sucks at digital because in WOW I needed a patch RAWR".

WoTC actually did leave it to a company that knows how to create something like that...and it didn't work out (I don't know the company's name, but it was outsourced, not developed internally).

The monster builder? Awesome sauce, hands down the best DM tool I've ever used, even better than my beloved DM screen. Sure, is there functionality I'd like to see implemented? Yes, I'd love to have templates in there to tweak the monsters more, but at least it only takes me 5 seconds to get an encounter in the sweet spot with the monsters I want and print out my encounters to be organized and able to run a nice efficient game rather than have to manually spend hours converting monsters.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I heartily agree that the monster builder is awesome sauce - wish they had something similar for traps/obstacles, though.

Personally, I think DDI is more than worth it, but YMMV. Certainly a big part of my thinking is the utility I get out of the monster builder.

Remove ads