• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a psionic version of the Gate spell?

ChimericDream

First Post
I can't seem to find anything in the SRD. Most spells and effects have a counterpart in the psionic system, but I can't seem to find anything that allows planar travel. I'm sure it's there somewhere, but what is the name?

Krafen

First Post
Plane Shift, Psionic
Psychoportation
Level: Psion/wilder 5
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Willing creature touched, or up to eight willing creatures joining hands
Duration: Instantaneous
Power Points: 9

As the plane shift spell, except as noted here.

VonRichthofen

First Post
You'd want GATE for travelling?

One of the four most powerful spells in the game, and you'd be content to move around with it? I am severely shocked! ;)

saucercrab

Explorer
VonRichthofen said:
You'd want GATE for travelling?

One of the four most powerful spells in the game, and you'd be content to move around with it? I am severely shocked! ;)
QFT. Gate is for when you don't feel like fighting the BBEG yourself. Or, in an evil campaign, when you finally want to (& can) kill the rest of the party.

zypherillius

First Post
saucercrab said:
QFT. Gate is for when you don't feel like fighting the BBEG yourself. Or, in an evil campaign, when you finally want to (& can) kill the rest of the party.

specifically, i remember one post about that. i have no desire to dig through the archives, but i remember the jist of the post here.
a dm was having a one shot deal party to fight the colossal red dragon figure. i think the party was rolling up to 34th or 36th level and the party cleric was asking for suggestions on a build. somebody posted just take the domain with gate, and summon a hecatoncheries, and just have it go ape on the dragon. so to site a specific example for ust it to fight the bbeg, there you go. i believe the other guy posted the psionic plane shift for you, so all is good

Jack Simth

First Post
Plane Shift, Psionic and Astral Caravan will get you from Plane A to Plane B.

And Astral Caravan is merely 3rd. Takes a while, though, and you're subject to astral beasties in the meanwhile.

Edit:
Hmm.... if you have 20 Psionic Tattoos, and another is added, they all activate at the same time. Expensive way to quick-buff (and you need help to do it - but, if you're a Psion, one feat gives you a reliable ally (your Psicrystal... or do they not have enough total surface area?)
Now, what 21 augmented powers of 3rd or below make the best combo....

Edit 2:
Hmm... is it my imagination, or do the Psionic Tattoo rules lack the potion limit on casting time? Tattoo's of Astral Caravan/Astral Traveler could make for a low-level messenger/retreiveal service - you know, for those instances where you need to send someone, but not someone valuable?

Edit 3:
Also, Gate is commonly considered one of the most broken (or at least, breakable) spells in the game. The fact that it isn't in the XPH is a GOOD thing.

Last edited:

Remove ads