• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a spell that can be used to take photographs?

Sadras

Legend
Another option, a two-step process, which I prefer (due to the level of detail)
  • to use a mirror that could capture the image being reflected in it; and
  • then use a transmutation spell to pull that reflection across to paper/parchment.

nijineko

Explorer
There is a psionic power and a psionic item which both do exactly this. Should be fairly easy to convert to a spell. Iirc... the item is from the 3.x Dark Sun material, while the power is from either core or comp-psi.

Quartz

Hero
Why use a spell when a few skill points in Craft: Artist will do the trick just as well and can be used repeatedly? As a bonus, you might be able to use it as a Complementary Skill to the Rogue's Forgery.

doghead

thotd
Why use a spell when a few skill points in Craft: Artist will do the trick just as well and can be used repeatedly? As a bonus, you might be able to use it as a Complementary Skill to the Rogue's Forgery.

Same reason we use cameras rather than sketchbooks? Its quicker and doesn't require any great application or ability?

thotd

Yeah doghead has it for me. I want something that can capture the information in a few seconds (or even up to a few minutes if necessary). Sketching stuff by hand can be very time consuming, even for a skilled artist.

nijineko

Explorer
You've got me curious, what is the item and power called?

you ask, i (eventually) answer:

mnemonic crystal (official dark sun 3.5): and now that i reread it, it is only effective with pages of material - basically a spy cam for text and/or spells. i now recall that the one in question i was thinking of was a homebrew variant that recorded minutes of video per level of crystal, with a flat rectangular field of view, instead of pages per level as normal.

mimir (official planescape 3.5): magic item that will record knowledge (spoken, possibly read) and regurgitate it... at length. only a cost given as they apparently can't be made, owing to setting fiat (made with an unknown material).

Sensory stones (official planescape 3.5): can record memories, sensations, and the like. no stats given due to setting fiat (only work inside one building in sigil, or somesuch). experience retrieval only.

Living Memory power (official planescape 3.5): can record almost any form of selected memory (whole or edited) into an object, which can then offer it back in text, visual, or direct experience formats.

Thought Bottle (Complete arcane): can store specific thoughts or memories (one day's worth).

and that's all that i'm thinking of off the top of my head. hope it was helpful. =D

PS: a creative use of illusion spells ought to do the trick as well, since you have the static illusion and the moving illusion options, if you are high enough level. combine with magic mouth for humorous additional commentary.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
Okay, as suggested, some skill points in painting, accompanied by a Fabricate spell. You need a surface to use as "film", and inks or paints, but the effect is instant and the result permanent.

While there's no "risk" involved in the check, it's still possible to ruin your raw materials, so Take 10 probably shouldn't be allowed, at least by RAW. Your DM may take a different view.

Remove ads