Pathfinder 2E Is this a fair review of PF2?

CapnZapp

Legend
So, I'm about to play my first PF2 adventure. And I figured, while I'm not a PF2 fan, I might as well play something I can't play in 5e and I like magical classes. So, my initial draws were Alchemist, Witch or Oracle.

This thread has kinda scared me off of Alchemist, so I'd like some opinions: How are the Witch or Oracle? I'm leaning Witch, but I have seen reviews that suggest that I'd just be better off playing Wizard. Also, feel free to change my mind on the Alchemist.
Is this a one-off, or do you expect to play multiple sessions before finishing the GM's scenarios? And do you start at level 1?

If a one-off, choose whatever you like - even Alchemist. If you start at a higher level (at least level 7, ideally 11 or even higher), the same. :)

But if you're about to embark on a multi-session adventure starting at level 1, I can only suggest you reconsider your decision not to play a martial (Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin). And if you absolutely must play a spell caster, that you choose between Bard, (heal) Cleric or Druid.

Slotted spells are weaker than in any other edition of D&D ever, with the exception of the Heal spell. And Bards and Druids rely much less on these weak tools than other spellcasting classes. To make that clear - the reasons Bards and Druids are held in high regard is precisely because they don't have to rely on their spell slots.

As far as I understand Witches and Oracles aren't much better than Wizards - more complicated, but for little benefit. But consider this hearsay, I haven't yet had a chance to see any APG class in action myself.

Of course, if your GM isn't planning on running official adventures, which are uniformly extremely hard (from a 5E gamer's perspective) especially at low level, it doesn't really matter who does more damage, and for a friendly home game (say a sandbox exploration game), you should ignore everything I just said :)

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Going through a pre-published adventure: The Fall of Plaguestone, so 1st to 4th, I believe.

1st to 4th won't give you a big feel for your character. You could play any of them 1st to 4th. Those levels are rough for all classes. You spend a lot of time kissing the dirt.

willrali

Explorer
So, I'm about to play my first PF2 adventure. And I figured, while I'm not a PF2 fan, I might as well play something I can't play in 5e and I like magical classes. So, my initial draws were Alchemist, Witch or Oracle.

This thread has kinda scared me off of Alchemist, so I'd like some opinions: How are the Witch or Oracle? I'm leaning Witch, but I have seen reviews that suggest that I'd just be better off playing Wizard. Also, feel free to change my mind on the Alchemist.

I‘m very partial to the Oracle. Some of the curses are very fun to play indeed.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Not sure what all those things do. Alchemist can do nearly every type of damage now. Their elixirs can do a lot of different things. They have healing. They do have a philosopher stone. Definitely a class for people who like to think outside the box and try to do different things. You can have a familiar that does some interesting things. I'd say go over and give it a read. See what you think.

My GLOG alchemist can make a roman candle (ranged fire attack), make food, boost cha checks and saves vs illness, create a smoke bomb/stinking cloud, create acid (attack, damage stuf), create a cure-all (vs poison or illness, a bit of HP healing), a large bomb, enhance his sword, make a short duration ring of invisibility, cloudkill, create a homunculus, and create the philosopher's stone (gold? Resurrection? something else?)

I can link the class if you wish.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases