Pathfinder 2E Is this a fair review of PF2?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This is a case where a quick google search may not be adequate.

The GLOG is Goblin Laws of Gaming. It is a D&D based rpg system, meant to be compatible with B/x and other OSR games. Heroes retire at level 5 (you can keep playing but you don't gain as much power). It's also meant to be hackable, (very DIY D&D) so people are constantly creating new classes (like my alchemist) and even new versions of the ruleset.

There is therefore no "official" version of the GLOG, but the closest to it is Skerples' version: https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2019/10/osr-glog-based-homebrew-v2-many-rats-on.html

Skerples also wrote an excellent dungeon, the tomb of the serpent kings for beginner players/GMs, but with enough flavor that it's quite good for anyone. It's been extensively play-tested and reviewed: https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/06/osr-tomb-of-serpent-kings-megapost.html

I'm working on a "collective" dungeon where a bunch of GLOG-ers are writing a couple of rooms each and I will "tie it together" - this will not be ready for a few months however:

JmanTheDM

Explorer
Going through a pre-published adventure: The Fall of Plaguestone, so 1st to 4th, I believe.

as a GM who's nearing the end of running a 1st time PF2 group through Plaguestone. I'd highly recommend playing an alchemist simply for some very strong thematic elements. Don't want to spoil anything but an Alchemist will have a fun time in this adventure.

Cheers,

J.

BigZebra

Adventurer
as a GM who's nearing the end of running a 1st time PF2 group through Plaguestone. I'd highly recommend playing an alchemist simply for some very strong thematic elements. Don't want to spoil anything but an Alchemist will have a fun time in this adventure.

Cheers,

J.
Yeah, it's a shame going through that adventure, without an alchemist in the group.

CapnZapp

Legend
Puffin Forest video ranted about PF2 is too complex, and now he runs a 4E one shot?
Pathfinder 2 is much more complex and detailed than 5th edition. A YouTuber's preferences does not change this. Whether 4E is a good alternative or not I really can't say, and honestly, I don't care. That edition lacks relevance today.

Aldarc

Legend
Pathfinder 2 is much more complex and detailed than 5th edition. A YouTuber's preferences does not change this. Whether 4E is a good alternative or not I really can't say, and honestly, I don't care. That edition lacks relevance today.
So why do you keep bringing it up as being relevant for comparing it to PF2?

Puffin Forest video ranted about PF2 is too complex, and now he runs a 4E one shot? So I'm not sure where he's coming from:
I didn’t check out that video, but he did make a companion video providing the impressions of him and his players concerning 4e.

They all (including Puffin) complained at length about the system’s complexity, so he is pretty consistent with respect to his complaints of PF2.

Also worth mentioning that 4e was his first system, so he may have been wearing nostalgia goggles before trying to run a 8th level one-shot. 😅

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases