• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this a legal character concept

yipwyg42

First Post
I was thinking ending up with 6 fighter/14th wizard.

If you look at the classes that offer both martial and casting abilities they never get spells in the 8th level or above range anyway.

Yes there are many many many alternatives out there with the 3rd party stuff, however I am again just talking about using the 11 core classes.

A fighter/wizard will be able to use all spells up to 7th level without a spell penalty. For the most part campaigns I have been in has never reached that far anyway. I also think it would go with more of a Roleplaying aspect. To often I do not see players playing characters, they are playing a class, feat, prestige build that is optimized for maxium effectiveness, and then coming up with some sort of personality/storyline second.

wayne62682

First Post
Not to derail the thread but: Class != Profession. Just because my character sheet says Fighter 1/Wizard 8/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 10 doesn't mean those things in the literal "class" definition. A "class" is a package of abilities, nothing more. Multiclassing and taking PrCs and whatnot isn't a career change, it's adding a unique set of abilities that fit your character concept. The word "class" should never be spoken in-game because it's a purely metagame term.

// end thread derailment

Crothian

First Post
wayne62682 said:
I suppose (not familiar with Epic stuff at all). I would think that even then there would be better alternatives..

Still not worthless unless the player playing the character is also worthless. It is not the most powerful and optimal choice out there but that's not a bad thing.

RigaMortus2

First Post
wayne62682 said:
Not to derail the thread but: Class != Profession. Just because my character sheet says Fighter 1/Wizard 8/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 10 doesn't mean those things in the literal "class" definition. A "class" is a package of abilities, nothing more. Multiclassing and taking PrCs and whatnot isn't a career change, it's adding a unique set of abilities that fit your character concept. The word "class" should never be spoken in-game because it's a purely metagame term.

// end thread derailment

Well, that isn't always 100% true. Many PrCs require you join their organization. For example, the Shadowdancer class I beleive you have to seek out other Shadowdancers. So when you do so, and you become a Rogue6/Shadowdancer1, are you suggesting you are not considered a Shadowdancer "in-game"?

I do agree, if you take levels of Fighter (for example) and specialize in unarmed/grappling feats, feel free to call yourself a "brawler" or what have you. Or if you specialize in bow feats, feel free to call yourself an "archer" or "bowman". But some classes (most often PrCs) do have specific requirements for you to join them, one of which is specifically joining their group/guild/organization of the same name.

pawsplay

Hero
Hm, fighter 8 (armored caster)/wiz 3/sor1/ultimate magus 8, with Armored Caster. Potentially interesting.

But otherwise, I think, more of an option for Arcane Archers.

Ace

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Still not worthless unless the player playing the character is also worthless. It is not the most powerful and optimal choice out there but that's not a bad thing.

Agreed. I am going to make the swap fighter level +2 instead. This will balance a bit better IMO

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I would have called this a character 'build' rather than a character 'concept'... to me a character concept is "a noble knight steeped in the traditions of magic who learns how to integrate his martial and magical heritage" :)

Back to your main point - why medium armour? I don't often see anyone selecting medium armour to wear because you have the speed penalty of heavy armour but don't get as much benefit as you do from heavy armour (or are you thinking of mithril full plate or something?)

Cheers

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I think the OP's goal was dragon hide and Dragon Husk from Dragon Magic:

yipwyg42 said:
The original thing I was attempting was getting the dragon husk ability from dragon magic. However that won't work, without rebuying light and medium armor.

Basically thinking of a unit of fighter/mages or fighter/sorcerers that wear armor made of dragon skin. Don't think Dragon Armor is considered light, think it is medium. I might be mistaken though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads