Is this unbalancing? - Summon monster change

Holy Bovine

First Post
I've made an alteration to how the summon monster spell works and would like to know you thoughts on it (yes YOU!).

I have changed it so that at the end of the caster's turn in which he casts the spell the monster appears but is unable to attack until the start of the wizard's next turn (and then acts normally from then on).

The creature does get to make AoO's if granted the opportunity but can't attack.

What do you think? Too unbalancing? Have I made Summon Monster way too powerful/weak?

Thanks for any all input.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Hmm... now all the baddies get a full round to trounce your summoned creature. They could conceivably kill the monster before it even gets a hit in, which would be a waste of a perfectly good spell.

I, personally, would leave it the way it is.

rhammer2

First Post
Since summon monster is a full round spell to cast, the caster does not complete the casting until the beginning of the round after he starts casting. The summoned monster appears then and both the caster and the SM can act in that round and the duration round count begins. It sounds like you are changing your definition of a full round spell, are you starting the duration count on the round it is cast? If the SM can get AOO, you should. You have made the spell harder to interrupt by changing your definition of a full round casting time.

Holy Bovine said:
I've made an alteration to how the summon monster spell works and would like to know you thoughts on it (yes YOU!).

I have changed it so that at the end of the caster's turn in which he casts the spell the monster appears but is unable to attack until the start of the wizard's next turn (and then acts normally from then on).

The creature does get to make AoO's if granted the opportunity but can't attack.

What do you think? Too unbalancing? Have I made Summon Monster way too powerful/weak?

Thanks for any all input.

Last edited:

Remove ads