Is Time Travel (going backwards) Possible?

Corathon

First Post
Theoretically, general relativity allows one to create a time machine. (that doesn't mean that it will ever be possible in practice). Such a time machine allows one to travel back in time, but no further back than the creation of the machine.

So, until someone builds a time machine there's no traveling back in time.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Such a time machine allows one to travel back in time, but no further back than the creation of the machine.

I don't know what version of General Relativity you've been reading, but that's not what it says about time travel at all.

Flatus Maximus

First Post
But Nazi sympasizers would also go back in time to prevent that. They would be the time roaches ofdthe universe.
Who says Neo-Nazi's wouldn't be the one to create the machine?
Hitletr did many great things without him, we would have less tecnologfy related to medicine.

In fact, if you are saved by a life threatening operation, Hitler probably saved your life. What he did in the Holocaust was horrible, but humanity benefited by it far beyond anything we have done since.

It helps when you can use trial and error on subjects closer to human than animals (humans are closest), so yeah.

How the hell did this post not get struck by lightening immediately?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'll just say this about that: most of the "experiments" done by Hitler's "scientists" on humans lacked proper controls & methodology, and as a result, almost none of it was of any scientific value.

Nytmare

David Jose
Theoretically, general relativity allows one to create a time machine. (that doesn't mean that it will ever be possible in practice). Such a time machine allows one to travel back in time, but no further back than the creation of the machine.

So, until someone builds a time machine there's no traveling back in time.

Which movie did you pick up this version of general relativity from?

Corathon

First Post
I don't know what version of General Relativity you've been reading, but that's not what it says about time travel at all.

See (coincidentally), Morris et al, 1988 (ref below) in which the authors speculate that a wormhole could be turned into a time machine. Such ideas may never be physically realizable, but they do exits in theory. General relativity is most definitely not my field, and maybe ideas have changed since I last paid much attention to it - but ideas for time travel have been discussed in physics journals.

Morris, Michael S., Kip S. Thorne, and Ulvi Yurtsever, Wormholes, Time Machines, and the Weak Energy Condition, Physical Review Letters, 61, 1446, 1988.

Last edited:

Remove ads