Is Tolerance a Lawful thing ?

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
"Talking about the queen again, on independence day?"
Tolerance about getting killed is not a thing, nobody does that.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
"Talking about the queen again, on independence day?"
Tolerance about getting killed is not a thing, nobody does that.
The British transphobic movement has openly embraced full on eugenics/genocide of trans people at this point, and if I don't tolerate that then I guess I'm a hypocrite?

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
The British transphobic movement has openly embraced full on eugenics/genocide of trans people at this point, and if I don't tolerate that then I guess I'm a hypocrite?
You should not accept it, the take away from the Holocaust was they mean what they say, remembering that the western powers simply transferred GLBTQ prisoners from one concentration camp to another, because to them, the Germans did nothing wrong. There is zero tolerance for getting attacked, the only people who argue different is arguing from a position of privilege, where nothing would happen to them anyways.

I wouldn't imagine a LG city-state, for example, being very tolerant of other religions. I imagine they would be cool with most LG deities, and perhaps tolerating something like a NG god of healing or LN god of Law. But I don't think they would be very welcoming to a CG god, and probably pretty hostile to anything else.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So hardly anyone actually believes in Tolerance. Fascists honestly say they don't, and the Progressive, enlightened "folx" who parade it around like a pagan idol always have a convoluted, Dunning-Kruger justification why they don't need to practice it whenever inconvenient. Ironically the only types who seem to believe in Tolerance at all is the small-government, libertarian/conservative, just-wanna-grill types.

Mod Note:
And, here you make it political, which is against the rules of these boards. You are done in this discussion.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
So, first you'll have to define specifically what you mean by tolerance. By tolerance I mean, "the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with." I would suggest that tolerance is very much associated with patience and stoicism and self-control, and those are very much Lawful Good virtues.

I think Tolerance is relative of assuming the fact that not all people use the same path
( easy in DnD that means there are numerous Classes and not everyone uses the same references )

Last edited:

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
now this makes me think is there a connection in between Tolerance and Tracking ?
( like in following a discussion rather than cutting it in half )

??

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Ugliness and attractiveness are how a society views of actions in the society! It is what a society rewards or punishes someone for. That is why it is important to define and state what good and evil are in your games, these are based around the gods used in the game. Cultural taboos will be created from that, tolerance will then be the skill/ability to overcome those taboos.

Example: IF I define orcs as evil, it is because they perform acts I have listed as evil in the society my players and playing in. Those acts, cold blooded murder, cannibalism, rape, slavery and worship of evil gods. But what happens if the players meet an orc not doing any of those things? He would have to make a Tolerance check or treat the orc as they would other orcs.

Remove ads