Is Tolerance a Lawful thing ?

Selvarin

Explorer
I wouldn't imagine a LG city-state, for example, being very tolerant of other religions. I imagine they would be cool with most LG deities, and perhaps tolerating something like a NG god of healing or LN god of Law. But I don't think they would be very welcoming to a CG god, and probably pretty hostile to anything else.
Depends upon the deity's relationship with another's, affecting their followers. A god of justice may not fully understand a deity of artistry, but nonetheless may appreciate the results of their efforts. A deity of military orders (knights, paladins, legions, etc.) may have a more strained relationship with the deity of wine and revelry (likely CN) because of how too much of either sows discord and can affect military readiness. Thus they may be rough with finding said priests or blatant followers too close to HQ. There may be deities or philosophies whose goals, precepts, and alignment are diametrically opposed to each other. Depending upon that, there could be proscriptions against worship or even the presence of a temple, for less lawfully inclined there may be cloak-and-dagger attacks in the back alleys, especially as certain (un)holy days approach. In any event, the overall beliefs of the people themselves would color how these differences may manifest. It's not like LG people (or lawful anything) are incapable of making distinctions.

If I were to look at alignment another way, it's a guideline and an aspiration, not necessarily the end-point. It would be a bit boring indeed if we encountered characters who didn't surprise us by playing outside-of-type.

Remove ads