• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item creation question.

Torias Starym

First Post
OK, so maybe it's a stupid question. So what. I'm still new at this.
I guess what i'm asking is, which is the important thing, the effect or the mechanics of creating items?

Pax

Banned
Banned
Generally, to make a scroll, potion, staff, or wand ... you have to have the ACTUAL spell.

To make a wondrous item ... GM call, but my understanding is that, again, you have to have the ACTUAL spell.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
The DMG talks about prepared, or known spells in all cases. So first cut - no.

However, the primary difference between an SLA and an actual spell is that the SLA doesn't involve material or XP components. So it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that as long as you don't need those, you could use the SLA. This would mean that you could use an SLA to create armor, weapons, rings, rods, and wondorous items, but not potions, scrolls, staves, or wands.

Or you could create a special feat:
Innate Crafting(Item Creation)
Prereq: Craft Wondrous Item, at least one spell-like ability
Benefit:The crafter can substitute any one of his spell-like abilities for an equivalent prerequiste spell when creating magic items.

Torias Starym

First Post
Maitre Du Donjon said:
Do you have a particular example in mind?

Example: Could an Air Genasi Sorceror from FRCS use his 1 use of levitation to craft Boots of Levitation and save his spell slot? assuming, of course, that he/she has the Craft Wondrous Item feat.

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
Torias Starym said:
Can a caster use a spell-like ability in the place of a memorized spell to craft a magical item?

Yes. DMG p. 178: "Prerequisites... Note that a spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell... or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect."

GuardianLurker said:
So it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that as long as you don't need those, you could use the SLA. This would mean that you could use an SLA to create armor, weapons, rings, rods, and wondorous items, but not potions, scrolls, staves, or wands.

Note that DMG errata forced items of all types to pay for any associated spell components.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads