Items of "Holding"

I'm not good with measurements, I apologize: But, volume-wise, what can and cannot fit in a bag of holding or a handy haversack? (I realize they're not all the same-but bear with me). Most weapons seem possible, but what about armors? (I dont have my books I can't give you the descriptions).

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
Mechanically, as long as it weighs less than the Bag of Holding's capacity, it'll fit. Of course a DM can always rule that something is too big to fit in the opening, but what fits and what doesn't fit is purely DM-territory. Some DMs won't care what you put in, others will argue that even the most mundane thing is too big. Asking about it here will get nothing but opinions, which probably won't sway many DMs if they disagree.

If I recall correctly, there are different sizes of bags of holding for the volume they can hold. As a DM, I'd allow anything that could "fit" into the bag's opening to be placed into the bag up to the volume limit. As UltimaGabe stated, it's all about what your DM thinks is right for the situation, and remember never put another extra-dimensional object into a bag of holding.

Turtlejay

First Post
If I recall correctly, there are different sizes of bags of holding for the volume they can hold. As a DM, I'd allow anything that could "fit" into the bag's opening to be placed into the bag up to the volume limit. As UltimaGabe stated, it's all about what your DM thinks is right for the situation, and remember never put another extra-dimensional object into a bag of holding.

Those are 3.5isms, all of them. 3.5 had Types I-V of bags that held different amounts, as well as the Handy Haversack and the Quiver of Elhonna and I'm sure a dozen other things. It also had the provisions about extradimentional and nondimentional spaces. I don't think 4e has any such language, but as it is mostly flavor and world-dressing anyhow, feel free to include it if you must.

I don't see the point of making folks leave their Bags of Holding outside the Rope Trick, but that's just me. . .

Jay

the Jester

Legend
Hrm. You're probably right about that.

Looking at some pictures, those seem to be single pieces, the front and the back. I was thinking they'd be several interlocking pieces.

You'd prolly be okay with certain types of armor, eg. chain mail, but yeah, that one piece...

Of course, in 3e, you could just wear the breastplate and stow the rest! :D

Remove ads