• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jägerkin

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
The Jager is a construct, but they're more of a "here, drink this" or a Jekyll/Hyde construct than a Frankenstein. Essentially, a Jager is a normal human (they've been known to have human descendants) who drinks the Jagerdraught or Jagerbrau (developed by Vlad "the Blasphemous" Heterodyne) and transforms into a being of enormous strength, speed, and endurance. However, one more thing is required - a Jager must take the Jagertroth, an oath of allegiance to the House of Heterodyne. This oath instills a fierce sense of devotion and loyalty to the Heterodynes, although the Jagers retain their free will. Under very unusual circumstances, a Jager can renounce the Jagertroth (or be expelled, like Vole) and is no longer considered a Jager although they retain their Jagerish abilities.

My suggestion for reflecting their resiliency is to have a race feature that Jagers do not fall unconscious/down when they hit 0 hit points, only when they die. You might want to throw a fast healing in there too: a Jager is shown in the comics being smashed through a wall by the recoil of an enormous gun, to the point where only his feet are sticking out of the hole, and the gun is definately resting against his cranium, only to emerge unharmed save for a broken nose, which he considers a minor injury. Jagers missing limbs consider it a minor inconvenience.

On a side note, I think it would be awesome to homebrew a GG 4th edition game.

keterys

First Post
I think most of the stuff (longevity, moods, etc) won't necessarily need to be covered by the racial info... so I'd go with Orc for the really quick way - the bonus to str, con, charge and the heal on attack are actually pretty solid. If I were tinkering a little longer, I'd drop the low light vision and give them something really minor... maybe say they need to fail 5 death saves instead of 3. Or just give them a +5 to death saves and assume orcs will get slightly better like warforged did.

I'm not sure I can think of anything good to compare to the casual dismemberment of each other that they can do, but honestly in D&D the fact that it's easy to put them back together and raise them from the dead is not necessarily exceptional :)

Remove ads