[January ] What are you reading?

coyote6

Adventurer
I just finished Adam Troy-Castro's Emissaries from the Dead, and am starting Perdido Street Station.

Republic of Thieves, the third book in the Locke Lamora series, is currently due out in October. I guess the author hit some of those dreaded authorial stumbling blocks. IIRC, the sequel to Name of the Wind is also bedeviled; between those two and A Dance with Dragons, there's a whole lot of (hopefully) great books to wait for.

Darth Shoju

First Post
I just finished Adam Troy-Castro's Emissaries from the Dead, and am starting Perdido Street Station.

Republic of Thieves, the third book in the Locke Lamora series, is currently due out in October. I guess the author hit some of those dreaded authorial stumbling blocks. IIRC, the sequel to Name of the Wind is also bedeviled; between those two and A Dance with Dragons, there's a whole lot of (hopefully) great books to wait for.

Makes sense. I was afraid it just wasn't going to come out for some reason. Delayed due to writer's block is something I can understand.

:p

Wombat

First Post
Due to inanity at work, I have been off my usual mark of reading. However, I did finish Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things and two books by Kenneth Oppel (Airborn, Skybreaker) -- the latter two were pretty so-so, but I read them because my nephew really liked them. Oh, and I read an advance read copy of a book on modern monastic life called An Infinity of Small Hours, which will be published later this year. I found it a fascinating read, but it will be rather limited in its readership I suspect.

frankthedm

First Post
BeneaththeMoorsHard.jpg
Re reading this one.

Crothian

First Post
I'm reading King's Under the Dome which so far is okay but I have no idea what it is trying to do. I'm 400 pages into it and it doesn't seem to have anything but the title.

Krug

Newshound
Shadow's Edge, part 2 of The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Fast-moving, with a bunch of interesting characters and villains.

Pbartender

First Post
In no particular order...

• 2001: Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
  • 2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke
  • 2061: Odyssey Three by Arthur C. Clarke
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
  • Cookwise by Shirley O. Corriher
  • Fleet of Worlds by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner
  • Juggler of Worlds by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner
  • Destroyer of Worlds by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner
  • Triplanetary by E.E. "Doc" Smith

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Finished

Haunt Of Horror TPB by Richard Corben and Rich Margopoulos
The Creature from the deeps by mark kidwell
Dark wisdom by Gary Myers
Fall of Cthulhu: the fugue by Michael Nelson and Jean Dzialowski
Cthulhu Tales: shadows of the mind by William A Messner-loebs, Brian Augustyn, and Michael A Nelson
H.P. Lovecraft's The haunter of the dark and other grotesque visions art by Coulthart, John, 1962-

Reading / listening to

Shadows over Innsmouth edited by stephen jones
Tarra Khash : Hrossak! by Lumley, Brian.
Necronomicon : the wanderings of Alhazred by Tyson, Donald, 1954-
Fruiting bodies and other fungi by Lumley, Brian.
Sorcery in Shad by Lumley, Brian.
The mall of Cthulhu by Cooper, Seamus.
--and their memory was a bitter tree-- : Queen of the Black Coast and others by Howard, Robert Ervin, 1906-1936.
Pulse by Robinson, Jeremy, 1974-
The 13 best horror stories of all time
The Necronomicon : selected stories and essays concerning the blasphemous tome of the mad Arab by Price, Robert M.
Miskatonic University by Greenberg, Martin Harry.
The new Lovecraft circle by Price, Robert M., 1954-
The whisperer and other voices by Lumley, Brian.
Haggopian and other stories : best mythos tales, volume two by Lumley, Brian.
The taint and other novellas by Lumley, Brian.
Repentant by Thomsen, Brian.
The dark worlds of H.P. Lovecraft [sound recording]
I hope they serve beer in hell Max, Tucker.
Prey by Masterton, Graham, 1946-

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Finished ERB's The Master Mind of Mars, A Fighting Man of Mars, and Swords of Mars.

I've nearly finished Leigh Brackett's Hounds of Skaith.

Pig Champion

First Post
I'm reading a book called Orcs at the moment, which isn't very much to my liking. I'm waiting for a copy of Piercing by Ryu Murakami to arrive. It's about a guy who has this urge to stab his baby with an ice pick and how he deals with it.

Can't wait to get stuck into it.

Remove ads