D&D General Jaquaying the dungeon - a term to avoid

Ondath

Hero
What it isn't, as far as I can see, is 'taking credit for someone's work who you didn't respect'. Firstly, 'xandering' refers specifically to Justin's theory and method for developing non-linear dungeons. One of his reasons for wanting to change the name was that people kept thinking that his system was created by Jenelle. Secondly, the blog series on xandering, and I assume the book, repeatedly credit Jennell for developing some of the first non-linear dungeons and popularising that style of dungeon. He isn't trying to take credit for anything she did, only for his own content.

Happy to hear arguments to the contrary, but right now I don't see Justin taking credit for anything other than his own work, and he's been very clear about Jennell's influence on it.
Thing is, Justin is giving the appropriate credit to Jennell only in the online articles. From what I understand (I don't have his book but this is what people who bought the book are saying), he removed all of the references to Jennell and how he only operationalised a way to build dungeons that was practiced by her. He only mentions her name as the original Xanderer or something like that in a dedication bit. So the book seems to have presented it as if Justin came up with the idea of Jaquaysing dungeons even though Jennell had done it decades ago, and Justin came up with the guide on how to do it through studying her dungeons.

Irrevenant

Villager
Thing is, Justin is giving the appropriate credit to Jennell only in the online articles. From what I understand (I don't have his book but this is what people who bought the book are saying), he removed all of the references to Jennell and how he only operationalised a way to build dungeons that was practiced by her.
If true, that changes things. I assumed the book text was fairly similar to the article.

The book is taking forever to arrive in this country but I'll check when I get the chance, thanks.

Remove ads