D&D General Jaquaying the dungeon - a term to avoid

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I don't have Justin's book, but a couple of the comments on the Xandering post point out that the only mention of Jennell is in the Acknowledgement section at the end of the book with the quote "Jennell Jaquays is the ultimate guru when it comes to xandering the dungeon.”
That's... a bit thin. I was vaguely thinking about buying the book, but ... nah.

Retreater

Legend
When I read the book, I don't recall the author going at length describing the creative processes of designers. Like "this is the way Gary Gygax built a campaign setting" or "this is how Dave Arneson started Blackmoor" or "build a mystery like ..."
For me, I found Alexander's book full of great advice. I can't speak to him on a personal level.
But what I can always recommend is to check your local library to see if they have it or can order it for their collection. As a librarian, I'm required to promote our services. ;)

When I read the book, I don't recall the author going at length describing the creative processes of designers. Like "this is the way Gary Gygax built a campaign setting" or "this is how Dave Arneson started Blackmoor" or "build a mystery like ..."
For me, I found Alexander's book full of great advice. I can't speak to him on a personal level.
But what I can always recommend is to check your local library to see if they have it or can order it for their collection. As a librarian, I'm required to promote our services. ;)
That's a great recommendation, I'll be going to my local library tomorrow and will see if they have a copy.

I will point out that the comments of the Alexandria site do say that Gygax's Greyhawk and Arneson's Blackmoor are explicitly referenced in the text of the book when talking about mega dungeons (based on your account of the text I'm assuming this is more of a reference than an in depth breakdown).

While I understand not having large sections of a how to DM book talking about other creators' contributions (although that sounds like a far more interesting book to me), it does strike me as odd that he doesn't even mention Jennell in the xandering the dungeon section when it was pretty explicitly the case that her work inspired his breakdown of that technique in the first place. Even just a similar reference like Gygax and Arneson received.

Another thing that came up in the interviews I watched is that Jennell Jaquays preferred the term "referee" to Game/Dungeon "Master" because that term has some negative connotations.
What are your thoughts on that?
I still often use the term "DM" because that's what most of the players in my games call it, and we rarely say the whole phrase. I actually like the term "Adventuring Guide" for an alternative, which I have on my Twitter/X bio.

Remove ads