D&D General Jaquaying the dungeon - a term to avoid

MGibster

Legend
Another thing that came up in the interviews I watched is that Jennell Jaquays preferred the term "referee" to Game/Dungeon "Master" because that term has some negative connotations.
What are your thoughts on that?
I'm perfectly fine sticking with Dungeon Master for D&D. I know there are a wide variety of names for thethe person running a game including Game Master, Keeper, and Storyteller, but I usually like to keep things simply and use GM as a generic term and DM specifically for D&D.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
What negative connotations were you thinking of?
That's just it, in NZ there aren't any negative connotations associated with Master that I'm aware of, though I guess Dungeon Master sounding kinky might get new players thinking that they're joining in with something completely different!

I don't know what J. Jaquays was thinking of, but my assumption is master to slave. Though we have other things in our history to be disappointed in, NZ missed out on the whole slavery thing.

Retreater

Legend
Bro, this is the quote from you I responded to, where you do not mention the word "judge" at all but specifically mention "dungeon master" and put scare quotes around the word "master" to make it super clear that's the objection and then you double down on clarity by saying "because that term has some negative connotations" regarding the word "master" and not "judge.
Not implying scare quotes. I use quotations because that's what I was trained to do when writing in college to call out the special use of a word beyond its meaning. I could've used underline, italics, or bold, but the use of quotation marks is easier on my mobile. I'm sorry if you perceived additional meaning beyond what I wrote.
So let's clearly identify what I was referring to.
Jennell was being asked about the history of the term "Judge" used in Judges Guild projects. She said in the interview that she uses "Referee" nowadays because "Master" has connotations she doesn't like.
I'm merely trying to explain a specific portion of a lengthy video for those who don't want to watch it. I mean no offense to you or anyone else here. My reply to your quote above was in agreement and to expand on the statement with more from her interview. I don't understand why you would reply with such apparent hostility.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not implying scare quotes. I use quotations because that's what I was trained to do when writing in college to call out the special use of a word beyond its meaning. I could've used underline, italics, or bold, but the use of quotation marks is easier on my mobile. I'm sorry if you perceived additional meaning beyond what I wrote.
So let's clearly identify what I was referring to.
Jennell was being asked about the history of the term "Judge" used in Judges Guild projects. She said in the interview that she uses "Referee" nowadays because "Master" has connotations she doesn't like.
I'm merely trying to explain a specific portion of a lengthy video for those who don't want to watch it. I mean no offense to you or anyone else here. My reply to your quote above was in agreement and to expand on the statement with more from her interview. I don't understand why you would reply with such apparent hostility.
Because you never used the word judge in your original post, and then when questioned said it was all about the word judge.

I think I misunderstood you starting with "Yes and". I see now you're saying "Yes, I agreed with you that it's fine to use referee for a non-D&D game but confusing to use it in a D&D game. And odder still that she was making that reply about Dungeon Master being inappropriate when asked about the use of the term Judge in a different game." If you were just trying to clarify what she said, I didn't understand that when you first replied. Sorry about that.

Retreater

Legend
I wonder how many of my favorite websites from my college years will ultimately be ruined by transphobia...
Look for people like Jennell Jaquays. Look for the allies and good people working behind (or in front of) the scenes.
I have tried to encourage the teen we fostered, and I think he's moving in a good direction now. I'm going to fight for him and the rest of his community. On websites, at my job, with our family.
We're not going to let it win here.

Remove ads