Spelljammer Jeff Grubb was surprised by Spelljammer

darjr

I crit!
Read some tweets from the press conference today, apparently Hickman&Wiess were not consulted on the new Dragonlance products.

I suspect that the whole lawsuit stuff, although mostly papered over now, has still left a little mistrust between the two groups.
I’m not sure the timing fits that sequence of events.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I’m not sure the timing fits that sequence of events.

Well, I think W&H dismissed their lawsuit in 2021, and it sounds like Dragonlance started getting setting development in 2020. I can't remember when the lawsuit started, but it does seem like WotC made a choice to not involve the two in the setting development for 5E, and I wouldn't be surprised if the lawsuit was partly why.

darjr

I crit!
Well, I think W&H dismissed their lawsuit in 2021, and it sounds like Dragonlance started getting setting development in 2020. I can't remember when the lawsuit started, but it does seem like WotC made a choice to not involve the two in the setting development for 5E, and I wouldn't be surprised if the lawsuit was partly why.
Ur you’d think they’d make that decision at the beginning instead a year after starting.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Ur you’d think they’d make that decision at the beginning instead a year after starting.

I just checked, and the lawsuit did start in 2020. So the timeline is;

• H&W started writing new books, with WotC's permission.
  • WotC started developing Dragonlance, H&W sues WotC. Which happens first isn't clear.
  • H&W dismiss lawsuit.
  • WotC completes and announces Dragonlance for 5E.

So the lawsuit and the development started roughly at the same time. To me, it looks like if there was any chance of getting H&W's input on Dragonlance, it went up in smoke when they sued. I know Hickman consulted for Curse of Strahd, so I wouldn't be surprised if WotC started DL development and intended to get input, then the lawsuit started and they decided "Naw let's not, let's do it ourselves only."

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Secret? Based on these forums I assumed WotC had confirmed they were doing Spelljammer dozens, if not hundreds of times before now.
Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

darjr

I crit!
Jeff Grubb liked my joke about someone needing to tell Jeff Grubb about Spelljammer that Jeff Grubb pretty much invented and that Jeff Grubb worked on.
E638523C-523A-4C18-8A5C-F5DA06C291AC.jpeg

Though I think he was being nice.

Last edited:

If somebody gave a gold coin to my PC everytime other said "Spelljammer confirmed!" this could buy her own ship.

Yes, now Guardians of the Galaxy is a great influence or inspiration for creators and players. We shouldn't reject, but thinking about how to do it better.

Spelljammer is the ultimate D&D sandbox, because all creature, (sub)class or new PC race can be added very easily without too many explanations, better than Nentir Vale.

Remove ads