Jeff Mackintosh Succumbs To Cancer

Tabletop gaming has lost another of its own, as Canadian game writer and graphic designer Jeff Mackintosh has succumbed to a form of brain tumor known as Glioblastoma multiforme. Mackintosh passed away on Friday, September 23, 2016.

Mackintosh joined defunct Canadian game publisher Guardians of Order in 1999, to handle the graphic design of the full color second edition of Big Eyes, Small Mouths, the seminal anime role-playing game. He also co-wrote a number of books for Guardians of Order, including Silver Age Sentinels (both the Tri-Stat and D20 versions) and Heaven & Earth Player's Guide and Game Master's Guide.

Previous to working for Guardians of Order, Mackintosh worked at XID Creative, publishers of the Providence role-playing game.

Mackintosh's fight against his cancer came to public light on Canadian media as he wished to see the final concert of the rock band The Tragically Hip. The Hip lead singer Gord Downie has also been diagnosed with Glioblastoma multiforme. Mackintosh was quoted as saying "I wish he wasn’t going through the same battle that I’m going through but he is. So being able to see him sing, not just listen to it because no matter what one way or another I’m going to listen to the concert thankfully in Kingston, but to be able to see it means something."

Mackintosh leaves behind family, and a great number of friends in the tabletop gaming industry. Robin Laws announced on his blog of the intention of Pelgrane Press and a number of other publishers to name characters after Mackintosh in upcoming books as a tribute to their friend's passing.

SaveSave

Henry

Autoexreginated
F*** Cancer, indeed.

I didn't know much of Jeff's work, but anyone who gives to the world and puts good things put into it is to be missed. I'm sorry to hear it.

kevbeck45

Explorer
I didn't know Jeff or his work but we've lost to many good people to this hideous disease. Blessings on his family and friends.

Anselyn

Explorer
Sad news but glad to see Robin D. Laws say that "He wrote of his impending death from cancer with courage and forthrightness."

Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.
[Julius Caesar,
Act II, scene 2, line 33.]

I will think of him and and what he gave us when I meet those valiant Mackintosh NPCs to be.

psychophipps

Explorer
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Mackintosh on a few occasions back in 2000. He was passionate about gaming, always had a smile on his face, had great ideas that made equally great games, and put up with my innate orneriness like a saint. I did not know him well at all, but I recognize that the gaming industry is lessened by his passing.

Peace and Love to his family and friends.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Cancer is alas, the ultimate boss. It is about time a party of researchers and medical professionals killed it once and for all...

I wish his family well - remembering all the good and having the bad slip away.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases