5E Jeremy Crawford Discusses Details on Custom Origins

I mean I'm getting Tasha's simply for the Subclasses, false hope of Psionics having subclasses for it, and the fact that the Custom Lineage system could be good for creating your own race.

Okay maybe I also like the idea that a Spell Book option for Wizards is a romance novel.

I'm just curious about what's supposed to be the human thing now that every race is super versatile and diverse. I hope we don't end up with the "humans thirst for power" trope and nothing else.
Their special ability/thing now is that the Lineage System is optional and nothing is forcing non evil Orcs/Drow, non dex elves, and non hardy dwarves.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Depends: are they just your typical guards/thugs or are they the Campaign Rival/Anti-Party?

I'd imagine the Campaign Rivals / Anti-Party would normally be exceptional (though having 'ordinary' people being such would be a good thing on occasion), while the typical guards and thugs wouldn't be (though having a group of such being exceptional every now and then would also be a good thing in my opinion).

Warpiglet-7

Adventurer
I'm just curious about what's supposed to be the human thing now that every race is super versatile and diverse. I hope we don't end up with the "humans thirst for power" trope and nothing else.
That is what is absurd. Humanity is incredibly diverse. Elves, dwarves, etc. have some tendencies that differentiates them from humans.
Actually had to be more precise.

I am going to try to keep an open mind but I think this was an ideological move and less a game centric one. I hope I am wrong because I would rather think someone took a swing and missed than felt they absolutely had to wave a bat around or else.

the archetypes Crawford mentioned will in fact become an artifact of an older game. If you like that, you win. If you like common in-game understanding of the fiction that can be tweaked for your world I think you lose. As much as we say “optional” it often becomes then common expectation.

As soon as you say “no drow” people lose their minds. Railroading! Restrictive! Whatever.

it will take a while to know what this will do. I hope 5 years from now I eat my words but really doubt it. I hope to be wrong.

It's not even what it means in 5e, based off evidence in the very books that he designed. Or are random NPC guards and thugs also exceptional individuals now?
Remember that NPC shmooks are non racial based. You can add their base race bonuses if you want. You're not obliged, but you can and it won't change their CR. So a mountain dwarf thug could have +2 strength and constitution if you wanted and all the modifications this would imply.

What about the spell and magic item sections?
Migth be useful, but not vital. In fact, it would be trivial. The spells in SCAG and the ToEE hand out were more than enough for any campaign. Of course, more isn't bad in that case. But it is not something that would entice me to buy a book. Monsters, settings and subclasses as well as new mechanics (such as those in Ravnica and Theros and even Acquisition Inc) are big sellers for me. Rule modifications.. nah...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am going to try to keep an open mind but I think this was an ideological move and less a game centric one.
Yeeess? Did you not get the memo? The world likes inclusivity finally, and companies across the planet are moving to accommodate this desire for a better world. It seems odd you missed that, given how prevalent it's been the last few years. But now you know, so problem solved. :)

Mistwell

Legend
Thinking more about Crawford's justification, if what he says is true and the real reason elven PC got +2 dex was because they were individuals, then the bonus wouldn't have been dex. It would already have been some version of the system that they are putting in the new book. Other than the race being dexterous, there's no reason to give all PC elves a +2 dex bonus.
He is not in fact saying every elven PC got a +2 Dex because they were individuals. He is saying they got a +2 dex to reinforce an archetype from prior editions of the game going back to the 1970s. If you watch starting around 4:30 you will see that.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
He is not in fact saying every elven PC got a +2 Dex because they were individuals. He is saying they got a +2 dex to reinforce an archetype from prior editions of the game going back to the 1970s. If you watch starting around 4:30 you will see that.
And from fantasy literature, mythology/folklore, and other games. The idea that elves are dexterous and dwarves are tough isn't D&D centric. D&D is just one of the games that decided to try and model the physical and mental aspects of those races.

Warpiglet-7

Adventurer
Yeeess? Did you not get the memo? The world likes inclusivity finally, and companies across the planet are moving to accommodate this desire for a better world. It seems odd you missed that, given how prevalent it's been the last few years. But now you know, so problem solved. :)
I would figure they could do that by allowing/ including human heroes of all backgrounds and allowing them to be equally effective heroes without trashing lore that is old and part of a culture itself.

just spitballing, thinking outloud. Suppose it is too stereotyping for Lizardfolk to have scales?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And from fantasy literature, mythology/folklore, and other games. The idea that elves are dexterous and dwarves are tough isn't D&D centric. D&D is just one of the games that decided to try and model the physical and mental aspects of those races.
Sure. That's true. Whatever Gygax claimed post-lawsuit, Tolkien was a massive influence (hobbits, ents, and balrogs were all in there pre-lawsuit). And Tolkien certainly gave us dextrous elves and tough dwarves. No denying that.

But that is only a couple of decades before D&D. We're not talking some long deeply ingrained cultural tradition (and even if we are, it's certainly not an American tradition, which Gygax proudly was). And if if it was, which it isn't, that's not an argument to keep it if a better idea comes along. And "your fictional fantasy character can be whatever you can imagine" isn't a terrible idea, as long as you're not overpowering the other players. So hey, I want to be the one elf in a thousand years who's actually really firkin' strong, and my friend want to play that one dwarf with asthma. Who's to say we can't?

Mistwell

Legend
Yes, but I am replying to a different point you made and this point doesn't seem to be about that point.

You were saying Crawford's justification for why it WAS a +2 Dex is because they are individuals. That is not his justification for why it WAS +2.

MarkB

Legend
I would figure they could do that by allowing/ including human heroes of all backgrounds and allowing them to be equally effective heroes without trashing lore that is old and part of a culture itself.

just spitballing, thinking outloud. Suppose it is too stereotyping for Lizardfolk to have scales?
On the other hand, suppose racial stereotyping is a bad habit of thinking to reinforce even if you're currently doing it in a fictional context?

Warpiglet-7

Adventurer
On the other hand, suppose racial stereotyping is a bad habit of thinking to reinforce even if you're currently doing it in a fictional context?

no argument against that, right up until you tell me all ‘species’ are the same.

darkvision would seem to be inborn like a dog’s sense of smell, for example.

I just think they are taking presumably good intentions too far. Now if you tell me certain humans are better than others or whatever then I have to question and ask what we are trying to do.

a lizard man with a bite attack and a primitive culture? Does nothing at all to how I view other people or cultures.

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4