D&D 5E Jeremy Crawford Discusses Details on Custom Origins

The only reason that I will have this book, is that my players will buy as a christmas gift to me (and even then, they mean it as a bad joke on me...). The only thing redeemable about this book will the subclasses (which my players want and it is the only reason they will buy it to me because I will not). And yet, A lot of them are just reprints of what I have already have in other books. If it would not have been for the subclasses, even my players would not want to touch this with a 10' pole.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The only reason that I will have this book, is that my players will buy as a christmas gift to me (and even then, they mean it as a bad joke on me...). The only thing redeemable about this book will the subclasses (which my players want and it is the only reason they will buy it to me because I will not). And yet, A lot of them are just reprints of what I have already have in other books. If it would not have been for the subclasses, even my players would not want to touch this with a 10' pole.
I'm going to buy it for the subclasses and such. It won't be the first book I buy and like(overall) that has portions that I dislike and won't use.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Thinking more about Crawford's justification, if what he says is true and the real reason elven PC got +2 dex was because they were individuals, then the bonus wouldn't have been dex. It would already have been some version of the system that they are putting in the new book. Other than the race being dexterous, there's no reason to give all PC elves a +2 dex bonus.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
He said that's what it really means, but that's not what it has meant prior to 5e or in most other systems. Dwarves are tough and strong, elves are smart and dexterous, halflings nimble, etc. That's why they got bonuses. What Crawford is doing is inventing a justification for the change, not explaining why the bonuses were there in the first place.

It's not even what it means in 5e, based off evidence in the very books that he designed. Or are random NPC guards and thugs also exceptional individuals now?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Nostalgia. D&DNext kept a lot of sacred cows as a way to bridge all editions and end the Hateful Edition Wars. I hope this will open up the design space for new systems instead of rejiggering bonuses to change a Wild Elf into a Snow Elf.
6e7f00f768c42e0df2282d4116f55e0b.jpg

My wild snowy elf is radically different from your snowy wild elf! ;)

P.S. Grimslade or Edalsmirge? Hmmm.... 🤔

What about the spell and magic item sections?

So one of my players (who doesn’t come to forms) saw the video and asked me how many free skill/tools I think a mountain dwarf monk or mountain dwarf wizard is going to walk away with...

I can’t believe the wizard would not want the armor. But the monk I would say it looks good.
Dwarves get 4 weapons and a tool set already so that is 5. Mountain dwarf gets light and med armor so that is 7.

So you would get 7 “extra” profs
I'm guessing that Tasha's system will be similar to the one in the new AL rules. IIRC in that one, you can swap tool proficiencies ands weapon proficiencies between each other, but you cannot swap them for Skill profs. Skill proficiencies are considered to be more valuable, and so you can't lose a tool proficiency to gain a skill proficiency.

I'm just curious about what's supposed to be the human thing now that every race is super versatile and diverse. I hope we don't end up with the "humans thirst for power" trope and nothing else.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases