D&D 5E Jeremy Crawford Discusses Details on Custom Origins

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am going to try to keep an open mind but I think this was an ideological move and less a game centric one.
Yeeess? Did you not get the memo? The world likes inclusivity finally, and companies across the planet are moving to accommodate this desire for a better world. It seems odd you missed that, given how prevalent it's been the last few years. But now you know, so problem solved. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thinking more about Crawford's justification, if what he says is true and the real reason elven PC got +2 dex was because they were individuals, then the bonus wouldn't have been dex. It would already have been some version of the system that they are putting in the new book. Other than the race being dexterous, there's no reason to give all PC elves a +2 dex bonus.
He is not in fact saying every elven PC got a +2 Dex because they were individuals. He is saying they got a +2 dex to reinforce an archetype from prior editions of the game going back to the 1970s. If you watch starting around 4:30 you will see that.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
He is not in fact saying every elven PC got a +2 Dex because they were individuals. He is saying they got a +2 dex to reinforce an archetype from prior editions of the game going back to the 1970s. If you watch starting around 4:30 you will see that.
And from fantasy literature, mythology/folklore, and other games. The idea that elves are dexterous and dwarves are tough isn't D&D centric. D&D is just one of the games that decided to try and model the physical and mental aspects of those races.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Yeeess? Did you not get the memo? The world likes inclusivity finally, and companies across the planet are moving to accommodate this desire for a better world. It seems odd you missed that, given how prevalent it's been the last few years. But now you know, so problem solved. :)
I would figure they could do that by allowing/ including human heroes of all backgrounds and allowing them to be equally effective heroes without trashing lore that is old and part of a culture itself.

just spitballing, thinking outloud. Suppose it is too stereotyping for Lizardfolk to have scales?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And from fantasy literature, mythology/folklore, and other games. The idea that elves are dexterous and dwarves are tough isn't D&D centric. D&D is just one of the games that decided to try and model the physical and mental aspects of those races.
Sure. That's true. Whatever Gygax claimed post-lawsuit, Tolkien was a massive influence (hobbits, ents, and balrogs were all in there pre-lawsuit). And Tolkien certainly gave us dextrous elves and tough dwarves. No denying that.

But that is only a couple of decades before D&D. We're not talking some long deeply ingrained cultural tradition (and even if we are, it's certainly not an American tradition, which Gygax proudly was). And if if it was, which it isn't, that's not an argument to keep it if a better idea comes along. And "your fictional fantasy character can be whatever you can imagine" isn't a terrible idea, as long as you're not overpowering the other players. So hey, I want to be the one elf in a thousand years who's actually really firkin' strong, and my friend want to play that one dwarf with asthma. Who's to say we can't?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yes, but I am replying to a different point you made and this point doesn't seem to be about that point.

You were saying Crawford's justification for why it WAS a +2 Dex is because they are individuals. That is not his justification for why it WAS +2.

MarkB

Legend
I would figure they could do that by allowing/ including human heroes of all backgrounds and allowing them to be equally effective heroes without trashing lore that is old and part of a culture itself.

just spitballing, thinking outloud. Suppose it is too stereotyping for Lizardfolk to have scales?
On the other hand, suppose racial stereotyping is a bad habit of thinking to reinforce even if you're currently doing it in a fictional context?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
On the other hand, suppose racial stereotyping is a bad habit of thinking to reinforce even if you're currently doing it in a fictional context?

no argument against that, right up until you tell me all ‘species’ are the same.

darkvision would seem to be inborn like a dog’s sense of smell, for example.

I just think they are taking presumably good intentions too far. Now if you tell me certain humans are better than others or whatever then I have to question and ask what we are trying to do.

a lizard man with a bite attack and a primitive culture? Does nothing at all to how I view other people or cultures.

Remove ads