D&D 5E Jeremy Crawford Discusses Details on Custom Origins

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It seems that perhaps you are confusing influence with copying. No one is saying he copied Tolkien, but his influence is very apparent and not at all minor.

Almost all the PC races is not "modest."
You're making the same mistake that a lot of people do with regards to "almost all PC races." That is, you think "five out of six races is a lot! Clearly this was all about Tolkien!" That's the wrong way to look at it; the races are there, but add very little to the game (again, level limits) and seem more important than they are. So yes, modest.

Maybe modest when the setting was basically a megadungeon. Once people started making bigger settings they needed to include places for Dwarves an Elves to come from, and place them in the history of those settings, and Tolkien was an obvious model for that, so his influence quickly grew.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You're making the same mistake that a lot of people do with regards to "almost all PC races." That is, you think "five out of six races is a lot! Clearly this was all about Tolkien!" That's the wrong way to look at it; the races are there, but add very little to the game (again, level limits) and seem more important than they are. So yes, modest.
Again, you don't understand what INFLUENCE means it seems. And nobody is saying it's all about Tolkien. Leave that Strawman at home, please.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Maybe modest when the setting was basically a megadungeon. Once people started making bigger settings they needed to include places for Dwarves an Elves to come from, and place them in the history of those settings, and Tolkien was an obvious model for that, so his influence quickly grew.
That's with regards to his influence among players, which was similarly outsized because most of the other authors that Gary drew on faded from the public eye as time went on (save for a few, such as Howard and Lovecraft). With regards to their influence on Gary himself, however, not so much.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Again, you don't understand what INFLUENCE means it seems. And nobody is saying it's all about Tolkien. Leave that Strawman at home, please.
Again, you're making the mistake of thinking that prominence is influence. Likewise, no, characterizing your statement as "all about Tolkien" (with regard to PC races) is an accurate representation of your position.

That's with regards to his influence among players, which was similarly outsized because most of the other authors that Gary drew on faded from the public eye as time went on (save for a few, such as Howard and Lovecraft). With regards to their influence on Gary himself, however, not so much.
Well yes. But one would think that the influence on the game would be the thing we actually care about.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Again, you're making the mistake of thinking that prominence is influence. Likewise, no, characterizing your statement as "all about Tolkien" (with regard to PC races) is an accurate representation of your position.
Doubling down on a Strawman can't make you correct about this. Only I get to decide what an accurate representation of my position is, and your mischaracterization ain't it man.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Doubling down on a Strawman can't make you correct about this. Only I get to decide what an accurate representation of my position is, and your mischaracterization ain't it man.
Quibbling over semantics doesn't a strawman make. Your position was accurately represented with regards to what I said, and bickering over the exact wording doesn't change that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases