• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files

sircaren

Explorer
So, I just finished reading Jim Butcher's Novels:

(this page has a blurb on each one)
http://www.iago.net/fanattic/dresden/

And I just want to say WOW, these novels were great. Present day, mixed with fantasy, magic, wizards, faeries, all wrapped around a mistery novel. Very compelling work.

I'm not too good at describing novels that way, so I'll let the blurbs above help out. Has anyone read these, what did you think. Anyone know of other novels along the same theme? I hadn't really come across this before, but I really enjoyed them.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
sircaren said:
. Anyone know of other novels along the same theme? I hadn't really come across this before, but I really enjoyed them.

You mean, magic in a modern setting, or the magic/detective cross?

Magic/Detective
Tanya Huff -- Blood Price, Blood Trail, Blood Lines, Blood Pact, Blood Debt. Victoria 'Victory' Nelson, Toronto homicide detective forced to be a private investigator because of a progressive vision problem, stumbles onto Henry Fitzroy, 450 year old illegitimate son of Henry VIII, and vampire. He becomes her partner of sorts and the pair look into bizarre crimes around Toronto. Kind of like a calmer, less psychotic Anita Blake without the kinky lycanthrope sex.

Randall Garret -- The Lord Darcy series. Lord Darcy is a Sherlock-like detective in an alternate 1970's that looks more like Victorian times, where magic works. His parter, Scottish sorcerer Sean O'Lochlainn, helps him solve crimes in a world where Richard the Lion-Hearted did not die in 1199 but went on to create the most stable empire in history. Here are some sample chapters of the large all-in-one book.

Modern magic:

The Borderlands books, if you can find them. Terri Windling.
Summon The Keeper -- Tanya Huff
War of the Oaks -- Emma Bull
Any Newford book by Charles DeLint
The Dragon Delasangre -- Alan F. Troop - Dragons living among us.
The SERRAted Edge books -- Mercedes Lackey
Operation Chaos - Poul Anderson

SteelDraco

First Post
I was starting to think I was the only one who'd ever read them. They're great stuff. All the things I liked about the Anita Blake books, without all the things I didn't care for. They're excellent reads, all four of them.

I'd probably put Fool Moon as the best, though I also enjoyed Grave Peril a great deal. I'm currently playing a PC based largely on the paladin from Grave Peril.

CCamfield

First Post
Yeah, these are fun books. Fool Moon was cool because of the various different takes on werewolves all present in the book. I think my personal favourite was Grave Peril, though. The final showdown was just awesome.

Remove ads