D&D General Joe Manganiello: Compares Early 5E to BG 3 . How Important is Lore?

A difference without distinction. The point is Eberron is designed to allow anything the DM wants to allow and no idea is strictly forbidden because of The Lore. That is an exact contrast to settings like Dark Sun and Dragonlance which banned stuff for the sake of banning it and still creates arguments if things created after the original publication date should be allowed or not. Eberron sidesteps all that with one elegant phrase, though I am not surprised somehow Eberron purists exist to delegitimize anything that came out after ECS...

As for Keith, I highly value his opinion but he is not the Voice of God. He reminds everyone of that when he says "In MY Eberron" as a way to say his is only one of the many ways to interpret Eberron.
There's a big difference. It's about empowering players and DMs, as opposed giving carte-blanche to the publishers to put in every piece of rubbish.

So a player asks "can i play a tabaxi" and the answer is "maybe, let's see how we can fulfill your desire in a way that makes sense" as opposed to WoTC publications just having tabaxi suddenly showing up everywhere.

Teorically thanks Spelljammer everything from a wildspace could appear in other.

Other point is the alternate timelines. For example a Krynnspace where the summer of chaos didn't happen yet, or the cataclysm was avoided, but the kingpriest became something like a dark lord of Ravenloft, or a time-traveler killed the darke eleves who appeared to lord Stoth before this killed the kingpriest.

Remathilis

Legend
There's a big difference. It's about empowering players and DMs, as opposed giving carte-blanche to the publishers to put in every piece of rubbish.

So a player asks "can i play a tabaxi" and the answer is "maybe, let's see how we can fulfill your desire in a way that makes sense" as opposed to WoTC publications just having tabaxi suddenly showing up everywhere.
There is no "maybe". It's "yes" unless the DM is going to Rule 0 the choice in question and in that case it's no different than if he had rule 0'd any other campaign setting. Eberron is explicit that anything can find a place in it, and that place may not be the exact one it fills in the core, but it's there. It is explicitly a kitchen sink, but with the sink arranged in a different pattern. There is no reading where a tabaxi is banned by the setting unless its the DM who is doing the banning.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-03 111513.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-03 111513.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-03-03 111347.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-03 111347.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-03-03 111236.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-03 111236.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2024-03-03 111106.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-03 111106.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 17

Remathilis

Legend
I don't think that's a fair characterization, especially in the case of Dark Sun (which was very much trying to create an alien and non-traditional D&D world through its omissions and changes).
My general opinion is that Dark Sun is a very interesting setting, but an absolutely terrible Dungeons & Dragons setting and had as much in common with D&D as Star Wars Saga did. It should have been its own RPG.

My theory is a spiritual succesor of Dark Sun is possible, but the return of this will be not as TTRPG but other type of product, maybe a novel, a survival videogame or an animated miniserie. The true question is if the metaplot of the pentad prism saga will be continued, or we will see a complete reboot. If it is this option then there is more freedom to add new elements but we will need a good reason to explain why the other species survived the cleasing war (maybe evacuated before this started) or possible new classes (specially those with special game mechanics, for example the martial adepts).

Remove ads