D&D General Joe Manganiello: Compares Early 5E to BG 3 . How Important is Lore?

Zardnaar

Legend
Notice tgat the anything goes worlds have kind of failed to serve up any new incoming races?

Tieflings and Gebasi are kinda getting there maybe jreen and half giants.
I think a curated list somewhere between the core 4 maybe the traditional ones plus 3-6 new races.

30+ races in say Mordenkainens means a few will get lost in the shuffle.

Tieflings Planescape. Genasi were 3.0 frcs slong with tieflings as well.

Warforged kinda iconic to Eberron but hasn't seemed to have caught on and the other Eberron races even less popular.

New FR also has very different tone. They've kinda Eberronized it. Sure you can play most things default but nothing stands out either.

Notice tgat the anything goes worlds have kind of failed to serve up any new incoming races?

Tieflings and Gebasi are kinda getting there maybe jreen and half giants.
On the other hand in terms of popularity it's 1: Humans, 2: Elves/Half elves, and 3+4 as Dragonborn and Tieflings. And I can easily argue that Dragonborn, if they are from any setting are from 4e's Nentir Vale. (No one goes back to Races of the Dragon).
I think a curated list somewhere between the core 4 maybe the traditional ones plus 3-6 new races.
If we're going for a popularity-based curation then it's Humans, Elves, Half-elves, Dragonborn, Tieflings. With dwarves, half-orcs, halflings, and gnomes getting put outside.
Tieflings Planescape. Genasi were 3.0 frcs slong with tieflings as well.
They seem to be trying to merge Goliaths and Genasi right now as the two "bubbling under" races that are more popular than gnomes into Elemental Giants with the Just Tough ones being the Hill and Stone Goliaths. I'm not sure how that One D&D feedback went.

Zardnaar

Legend
On the other hand in terms of popularity it's 1: Humans, 2: Elves/Half elves, and 3+4 as Dragonborn and Tieflings. And I can easily argue that Dragonborn, if they are from any setting are from 4e's Nentir Vale. (No one goes back to Races of the Dragon).

If we're going for a popularity-based curation then it's Humans, Elves, Half-elves, Dragonborn, Tieflings. With dwarves, half-orcs, halflings, and gnomes getting put outside.

They seem to be trying to merge Goliaths and Genasi right now as the two "bubbling under" races that are more popular than gnomes into Elemental Giants with the Just Tough ones being the Hill and Stone Goliaths. I'm not sure how that One D&D feedback went.

Personally I'm fine with tieflings in Greyhawk and don't care to much about Dragonborn. As long as they don't blow the world up to fit them in.

Most of the popular races are the free ones/phb.

Not every setting should have everything in it is more the point and new ones should probably add a few eg 2-4 on top of the normal races.

I'm running Midgard on Sunday. I'm spotlighting the ones relevant to the theme and added sone to fit the theme.

There's a big Dragonkin empire,Tieflings not so much but they're around. Elves are almost extinct Drow either don't exist or functionally extinct if they're added.

I allow substitutes eg Shadow Fey elf or Shadai Kai is fine but the physical description is the Midgard version.

I'll allow most things except flyers and that Tasha custom thing.

Last edited:

"If it exists in D&D, it exists in Eberron" is a key part of its creed and you can't get any more kitchen sink than that.
That's not the credo. The credo is "If it exists in D&D, there's a place for it in Eberron". There's a difference. Have a look at some of Keith Baker's blog posts, particularly where he talks about tabaxi PCs. It's clear that he doesn't think Tabaxi should suddenly exist as a widespread race on Eberron, but he suggests way so that a PC can play a Tabaxi.

Zardnaar

Legend
Generally when I talk about faithful adoptions I mean being respectful for whatever made a setting interesting in the first place.

For Eberron that means things like kitchen sink and prominent non PHB such as Warforged. Blowing up a chunk of Eberron to shoe horn Tavaxi in is stupid vs saying yes.

Making Eberron restrictive is also kinda silly.

Remathilis

Legend
That's not the credo. The credo is "If it exists in D&D, there's a place for it in Eberron". There's a difference. Have a look at some of Keith Baker's blog posts, particularly where he talks about tabaxi PCs. It's clear that he doesn't think Tabaxi should suddenly exist as a widespread race on Eberron, but he suggests way so that a PC can play a Tabaxi.
A difference without distinction. The point is Eberron is designed to allow anything the DM wants to allow and no idea is strictly forbidden because of The Lore. That is an exact contrast to settings like Dark Sun and Dragonlance which banned stuff for the sake of banning it and still creates arguments if things created after the original publication date should be allowed or not. Eberron sidesteps all that with one elegant phrase, though I am not surprised somehow Eberron purists exist to delegitimize anything that came out after ECS...

As for Keith, I highly value his opinion but he is not the Voice of God. He reminds everyone of that when he says "In MY Eberron" as a way to say his is only one of the many ways to interpret Eberron.

JEB

Legend
That is an exact contrast to settings like Dark Sun and Dragonlance which banned stuff for the sake of banning it and still creates arguments if things created after the original publication date should be allowed or not.
I don't think that's a fair characterization, especially in the case of Dark Sun (which was very much trying to create an alien and non-traditional D&D world through its omissions and changes).

Scribe

Legend
Listening to Joe in his latest interview talk about DL and the tv adaptation brings me joy. He’s just gushing and his love for DL shines. We really lose out on a cool tv show. Really puts another negative mark on WotC for me.

Would you watch an animated Dragonlance Series? Do you think BG3 is what 5e should have been? Lets us know!

Yes.
Yes, without a doubt. Too bad we are going 100% in the opposite direction for years now.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't think that's a fair characterization, especially in the case of Dark Sun (which was very much trying to create an alien and non-traditional D&D world through its omissions and changes).

They wanted to go a lot further but realized you gad to sell it to someone.

Remove ads