John Wick 4 (spoilers in tags)

Yeah, it's a franchise that's created by an action movie writer, directed by a stuntman, and stars Ted "Theodore" Logan. It ain't Shakespeare. It's about as deep as a '80s Schwarzenegger movie, but with far better world building. It's just plain turn-off-your-brain fun. I watch it for the action and curiosity over what new skill Keanu has had to learn for this one.
Well there is a vast gulf between Shakespeare and 80's Schwarzenegger movies.
Let's take for instance Mr Fishburne - his lines are not as iconic as he makes them out to be with his over-the-top emphasis which result in them being quickly forgotten. Now contrast those with his dialogue in the first Matrix. You do not need Shakespeare to make an impression.

The deeper world building and Parabellum reflects that we should set this apart from your average shoot 'em types.

John Wick 1 and particularly Parabellum had quite a few emotional beats. The addition of Halle Berry along with the storyline elevated the last movie. I loved Parabellum as they added substance to the beautiful world building + cinematography.

With 4, there is a regression of that as they slip into a shoot 'em up mode and introduce several John Wick styled characters (stoic, single mindedness, superhuman brooding types). They're all super cool but they're 2D characters. They're no Halle Berry, so we connect with them "superficially".

Think of Parabellum and its emotional beats.
In an act of utter desperation he uses his Marker to force Halle Berry to help him (this is not in his character but he does it anyways), and so doing threatens her world. He does the drastic move of relinquishing his ties to his clan for the favour of Safe Passage. The Elder asks him to kill a friend as his only way out. And then you have Winston with that act of utter betrayal in the end.

JW4, doesn't possess that level of depth, it has fewer and weaker emotional beats. It slides backwards on THAT front. The set pieces, cinematography and action scenes are incredible as is the villain, Clancy Brown, Scott Adkins, Natalia Tena and the little we see of Hiroyuki Sanada. But it fails in substance, in actual weight.

I saw Parabellum. I was expecting something similar or weightier for the finale. Especially for a finale.

What it boils down to is that I had different expectations...which had been set-up because of the bar-raising done by the previous movie.

Last edited:

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Great OP and follow up.. agree with many of the points. By the time they made it to stairwell set piece near the finale I was tired of it and my eyes were near rolling out of my head. Still, fun action packed movie for sure.
I kept waiting for Caine to say . . . I am in the force... :ROFLMAO:

rogue one GIF by Star Wars

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I watched John Wick 4 last night.

Wait. That's not quite right.

I WATCHED JOHN WICK 4 LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!

Since I am still in a state of blissful shock from watching the movie, I will now step aside and allow my good friend and occasional viewing companion, SNARFZODIACKILLER to post a review. SZK?

SNARFZODIACKILLER JOHN WICK 4 REVIEW

BABA YAGA? HOW 'BOUT BABA YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA! THATS RIGHT, JOHN WICK IS BACK AND HE HAS UNFINISHED BUSINESS. AND BY UNFINISHED BUSINESS, I MEAN THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT NEED KILLIN.

WHO? I DONT KNOW AND I DONT CARE, AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU. BECAUSE THE POINT IS NOT WHO IS KILLED, BUT HOW THE KILLIN IS DONE.

EVERY JOHN WICK MOVIE IS LIKE IF THEY TOOK ALL OF MOTLEY CRUES MUSIC AND SHOT IT STRAIGHT INTO MY EYBALLZ. JOHN WICK MAKES ME BRAVE ENUFF TO GO INTO A COVID THEATER, AND I KNEW I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE WHEN THAT ICKY THUMP STARTED BLASTING MY CHEST AT THE BEGINNING. ITS LIKE A LARS DRUM SOLO AT A METALLICA CONCERT, IF LARS DIDNT SUCK.

DID JOHN KILL PEOPLE? YES!

WITH A GUN AND NUNCHUKS AND A CAR? YOU BET!

DID HE INVITE BLIND DONNIE YEN TO HELP OUT? I DONT KNOW, I COULDN'T HEAR OVER THE SQUEES OF ZATOICHI! #FREEHEMMER

WAS THE RADIO STATION THAT PROVIDED THE SOUND TRACK OF COMPLETE MEGADETH DESTRUCTION REALLY CALLED W.U.X.I.A.? HONESTLY DIDNT NOTICE!

PERSONALLY, THOUGHT THERE WAS TOO MUCH DIALOGUE IN THIS ONE. THIS IS JOHN WICK, NOT HAMLET. WICK SPEAKS WITH HIS GUNS, NOT HIS WORDS.

ANYWAY, IM NOT ABOUT THE SPOILERS. JUST GOING TO SAY ITS LIKE WATCHING NOVEMBER RAIN AND HEARING GNR IS BREAKING UP.

IM NOT CRYING UR CRYING. SHUT UP. AND GO WATCH JOHN WICK.

Ryujin

Legend
I watched John Wick 4 last night.

Wait. That's not quite right.

I WATCHED JOHN WICK 4 LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!

Since I am still in a state of blissful shock from watching the movie, I will now step aside and allow my good friend and occasional viewing companion, SNARFZODIACKILLER to post a review. SZK?

SNARFZODIACKILLER JOHN WICK 4 REVIEW

BABA YAGA? HOW 'BOUT BABA YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA! THATS RIGHT, JOHN WICK IS BACK AND HE HAS UNFINISHED BUSINESS. AND BY UNFINISHED BUSINESS, I MEAN THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT NEED KILLIN.

WHO? I DONT KNOW AND I DONT CARE, AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU. BECAUSE THE POINT IS NOT WHO IS KILLED, BUT HOW THE KILLIN IS DONE.

EVERY JOHN WICK MOVIE IS LIKE IF THEY TOOK ALL OF MOTLEY CRUES MUSIC AND SHOT IT STRAIGHT INTO MY EYBALLZ. JOHN WICK MAKES ME BRAVE ENUFF TO GO INTO A COVID THEATER, AND I KNEW I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE WHEN THAT ICKY THUMP STARTED BLASTING MY CHEST AT THE BEGINNING. ITS LIKE A LARS DRUM SOLO AT A METALLICA CONCERT, IF LARS DIDNT SUCK.

DID JOHN KILL PEOPLE? YES!

WITH A GUN AND NUNCHUKS AND A CAR? YOU BET!

DID HE INVITE BLIND DONNIE YEN TO HELP OUT? I DONT KNOW, I COULDN'T HEAR OVER THE SQUEES OF ZATOICHI! #FREEHEMMER

WAS THE RADIO STATION THAT PROVIDED THE SOUND TRACK OF COMPLETE MEGADETH DESTRUCTION REALLY CALLED W.U.X.I.A.? HONESTLY DIDNT NOTICE!

PERSONALLY, THOUGHT THERE WAS TOO MUCH DIALOGUE IN THIS ONE. THIS IS JOHN WICK, NOT HAMLET. WICK SPEAKS WITH HIS GUNS, NOT HIS WORDS.

ANYWAY, IM NOT ABOUT THE SPOILERS. JUST GOING TO SAY ITS LIKE WATCHING NOVEMBER RAIN AND HEARING GNR IS BREAKING UP.

IM NOT CRYING UR CRYING. SHUT UP. AND GO WATCH JOHN WICK.
For a minute I thought you were saying that they opened with a montage of John Wick learning the ancient Lancastrian martial art.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases