JOKER Is Now The Most Profitable Comic Book Movie Ever

R_J_K75

Legend
Did they say that before it was such a megahit? I mean, the studio is going to throw so much money at them (especially Joaquin) to reprise the role, they just might crumble. I agree, there's probably multiple Joker movies in the works already.

As far as I can remember at least the director Todd Philips and Phoenix were pretty adamant that it was supposed to be a one and done movie. Warner Brothers on the other hand is a different story, theyll make another if they want regardless of who stars/directs. All that aside, I saw this one and didnt care for it much but with it performing so well at the box office I chalk it up to tgem catching lightning in a bottle and anything that comes after might rides this movies coat tails to box office success but will probably be garbage.

GreyLord

Legend
What counts as a Comic Book Movie?

I thought Avengers Endgame was the most profitable Comic Book Movie.

Edit: PS, Oh, I get it now. It's the Most PROFITABLE, meaning it's made the biggest percentage compared to it's budget, not the one that made the most money or the most money overall.

What counts as a Comic Book Movie?

I thought Avengers Endgame was the most profitable Comic Book Movie.

Edit: PS, Oh, I get it now. It's the Most PROFITABLE, meaning it's made the biggest percentage compared to it's budget, not the one that made the most money or the most money overall.

Right. It's a price point ratio that they use.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
DC will no doubt go this direction again and again and again. I hope they do actually. Don't try to copy the success route Marvel has paved. If this works for you, dark noir character stories, then by all means please keep doing that.

In terms of the DC Black stuff, the most recent addition is Harleen. Art is awesome, story is awesome. For a story about Harley Quinn's origin I can't wait to read the next one. Its a really, really good look at how Joker manipulates Harley from the very beginning. Honestly, if DC wanted to start adapting stories this one would make a good follow up to Joker.

In terms of the DC Black stuff, the most recent addition is Harleen. Art is awesome, story is awesome. For a story about Harley Quinn's origin I can't wait to read the next one. Its a really, really good look at how Joker manipulates Harley from the very beginning. Honestly, if DC wanted to start adapting stories this one would make a good follow up to Joker.
so,it's up there with Mad love?

Ah! You mean the condition the Joker (in the film) suffers from?

I feel the Joker (as a fictional art form) is devalued by trying to ascribe real-world conditions to him, and people suffering serious, life-affecting, real-world conditions are devalued by being compared to a comic-book character.

He's a fantastical character. He doesn't have a real-world illness; he's a maniacal evil supervillain.
I can see why some would think that way, and I can probably accept that, too. But to offer a bit of a counter-argument - not offering a motivation for Joker can also be a cop-out - Joker does whatever the writer wants him to do, he doesn't need to bother with any consistent motivation - that can lead to lazy writing.
Joker is the arch-nemesis of Batman, and Batman has a motivation that is rooted in something understandable. Maybe it would not hurt Joker to do so, too.
It also offers also a way to allow Batman to get "under his skin", and a story where the Joker is brought off-balance by Batman figuring out his background can be rewarding on its own. (And he still has the potential to bounce back from it - after all, he managed to overcome this background before.)

I guess the beauty of comic book characters is that you can go either way, as there can be different continuities.

But specifically for this movie - It seems to me that by becoming the Joker, he is basically "beating" his condition - he no longer feels the pressure of social situations. Joker's laughs as Jokers are not a result of his condition, but a result of the new personality he adopted that finally frees him of his previous limitations and shortcomings.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I mean, while literally true, it's a little bit misleading. As the article itself points out, the movie it took this "record" from is not "Endgame" or any other ridiculously-high-grossing MCU picture but The Mask. Sure Jim Carrey was a pretty bankable star in the early 90's and I'm very certain the people behind Joker are ecstatic at how well it's doing, but it's easy to think this headline means a lot more than it actually does.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, while literally true, it's a little bit misleading. As the article itself points out, the movie it took this "record" from is not "Endgame" or any other ridiculously-high-grossing MCU picture but The Mask.

The Mask, from Box Office Mojo, had a budget of about $23 million, and a worldwide gross of $351 million, just so folks get an idea of the numbers involved.

Remove ads