JollyDoc's Savage Tide-Updated 10/8!

Need_A_Life

First Post
Morrow said:
Hey, how about stat blocks for the rest of the party?

Morrow
Hell, I'd settle for an update on Anwar, but I also want to see the others.

Anwar is already a sub-optimal build, I can't possibly imagine taking the Green Ear feat to compound this!
Why not? It would've made that fight a cakewalk... you could've told them to buzz off and then go destroy the core.
Then again, I'm just a person who prefers to have ONE mode of attack; if yours is a diplomacy check, then by all means use it.

Well, you are both assuming that Avner's Uncle actually likes him. From Avner's behavior, that is a farily tenuous assumption
Well, if he's rich he might just give him some gold to get him out of his hair...
Then again, he might send Ninjas of Doom(tm) to destroy that "pesky nephew"... though then you could take credit for his defeat and collect a reward (or blackmail the guy, whatever suits you best)

Hammerhead

Explorer
Need_A_Life said:
Why not? It would've made that fight a cakewalk... you could've told them to buzz off and then go destroy the core.
Then again, I'm just a person who prefers to have ONE mode of attack; if yours is a diplomacy check, then by all means use it.

But Green Ear doesn't let you use diplomacy. It just means that your bardic music can affect plants, and they get a bonus on their saves. And in general, the only bardic music worth using buffs your friends, which Anwar is optimized for.

Need_A_Life

First Post
Hammerhead said:
But Green Ear doesn't let you use diplomacy. It just means that your bardic music can affect plants, and they get a bonus on their saves. And in general, the only bardic music worth using buffs your friends, which Anwar is optimized for.
Yes, but he gets it from a racial substitution level... calm emotions by use of a diplomacy check, I believe it uses bardic music...

Quartz

Hero
Hey, JD, I don't know if you've been reading ahead, but

(players do not read!)

In a later adventure (I'm being deliberately vague, just in case) there's an opponent that will Plane Shift evil opponents to somewhere nasty. Now Anwar is apparently gunning for Disciple of Asmodeus or similar. I wonder if you're going to make this an opportunity rather than an insta-kill? Of course, Anwar might have to settle for being a Disciple of a Minor Devil in the Service of Asmodeus :D.

gfunk

First Post
Sunday Night Update

1. Remember this little gem that I posted previously?

After that battle, the cogs of strategy were already turning in my head and I'm sure in Joachim's and other party members. Oh, we'll be ready for those green bastards next time . . .

Freakin' A man, freakin' A. The Legion was fully prepped for battle, optimized for crushing plants, and had adequate intelligence for a masterful surgical strike. The Mothership didn't stand a chance. We were the proverbial weed whacker.

2. After helping ourselves to mom's treasure, the Legion finds that the Sargasso has inconveniently fallen apart, leaving them in the middle of miles and miles of open ocean. Fortunately, one of us can breathe underwater and has a swim speed of 60 ft.

3. Land ho!! Sadly, a storm rocks the hell out of the Sea Wyvern and a marauding Masher certainly doesn't help matters. Unfortunately, a poor Balance check sends one of the PCs careening into the raging ocean. He is followed shortly by the rest of the Legion after the Sea Wyvern basically falls apart.

4. We wake up, with the Legion more or less intact and three surviving members of the crew. In short order, we are met by an Isle of Dread style welcoming committee. Despite greasing a fellow PC, we find (to our chagrin), that it just makes him slide down a certain gullet all that much easier . . .

5. Urol gives us the lowdown and we cannibalize all we can from the Sea Wyvern's wreckage.

6. Thrisp finally plunges fully into the abyss of the Shadow Weave, becoming wholly devoted to Shar and in the process becomes the third evil PC. Sepoto on the other hand becomes an Eye of Savress and performs a well-needed act of goodness and humanity. Anwar, seeing that he is currently lacking in female "companionship," works rapidly to correct the problem.

7. Of course, no update is complete without a Terror Bird ambush on the beach.

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
gfunk said:
Sunday Night Update

[/i]
Freakin' A man, freakin' A. The Legion was fully prepped for battle, optimized for crushing plants, and had adequate intelligence for a masterful surgical strike. The Mothership didn't stand a chance. We were the proverbial weed whacker.

Cool. I'll be taking notes :)

4. We wake up, with the Legion more or less intact and three surviving members of the crew. In short order, we are met by an Isle of Dread style welcoming committee. Despite greasing a fellow PC, we find (to our chagrin), that it just makes him slide down a certain gullet all that much easier . . .

The Isle of Dread - Feeding Pre-Historic Reptiles Since 1981

Need_A_Life

First Post
gfunk said:
Sunday Night Update

[/i]
Wohoo!
Knew this was going to happen!

2. After helping ourselves to mom's treasure, the Legion finds that the Sargasso has inconveniently fallen apart, leaving them in the middle of miles and miles of open ocean. Fortunately, one of us can breathe underwater and has a swim speed of 60 ft.
Okay, seems I should pay more attention as I drew a blank on this one.

3. Land ho!! Sadly, a storm rocks the hell out of the Sea Wyvern and a marauding Masher certainly doesn't help matters. Unfortunately, a poor Balance check sends one of the PCs careening into the raging ocean. He is followed shortly by the rest of the Legion after the Sea Wyvern basically falls apart.
Looking forward to reading that tale.

Why would you grease a member of your group? *shudders*

5. Urol gives us the lowdown and we cannibalize all we can from the Sea Wyvern's wreckage.
Adventuring parties: murderous scavengers and selfstyled mercenaries.

6. Thrisp finally plunges fully into the abyss of the Shadow Weave, becoming wholly devoted to Shar and in the process becomes the third evil PC. Sepoto on the other hand becomes an Eye of Savress and performs a well-needed act of goodness and humanity. Anwar, seeing that he is currently lacking in female "companionship," works rapidly to correct the problem.
Ooooh, shiney...
Sounds great!

7. Of course, no update is complete without a Terror Bird ambush on the beach.
Hate those bastards... my DM once sprung an encounter with 10 of the damned things... and seemed surprised when we had to retreat!

Tony Vargas

Legend
Need_A_Life said:
Why would you grease a member of your group? *shudders*
The Grease spell gives the subject a bonus to checks to escape a grapple. Sounds like someone got Improved Grabbed by a monster, failed his check to escape in spite of the grease, and got swallowed whole...

JollyDoc

Explorer
Tony Vargas said:
The Grease spell gives the subject a bonus to checks to escape a grapple. Sounds like someone got Improved Grabbed by a monster, failed his check to escape in spite of the grease, and got swallowed whole...

This is what happens when you have a monster with a grapple check of +30 vs a small individual (did I give too much away?) who, even with Grease, only has +12 grapple. Oops!!

Tony Vargas

Legend
JollyDoc said:
This is what happens when you have a monster with a grapple check of +30 vs a small individual (did I give too much away?) who, even with Grease, only has +12 grapple. Oops!!
So, was the critter using it's Improved Grab with just the natural weapon involved (taking the -20) or a full grapple (with attendant loss of DEX bonus and threatened squares vs the rest of the party)?

Remove ads