• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JollyDoc's Shackled City-NPC's Only

JollyDoc

Explorer
LordVyreth said:
Well, with help, Vhalantru will probably be a lot harder, especially if he can hang back and concentrate on using his eye rays and antimagic cone, instead of that still "float up and bite them" tactic that the module recommends.

I'm sorry to hear that Lee's exit was so unpleasant. I had a few players departures in my current campaign (the one I'm doing the Story Hour on,) as well, and they were always hard to deal with, both in-game and out. What made him so mad, if it's not too personal a question? We might be able to form a "DMs with disgruntled players" support group!

Yeah, I think with the support of Thifirane, et al, Vhalantru might be more of a challenge, especially if Thifirane can split the group with a few well placed walls of force, which I believe are not negated by the anti-magic cone.

Hmmm...where do I begin with Lee? Lee is a good guy, but he has a tough time playing in a group setting. He gets easily frustrated, and that rapidly turns into abuse. When he comes up with a plan for his character, he gets pissed off if it doesn't work out the way he wanted, and then starts sulking ("Well I guess my character just won't do anything."). Most of the time, you have to stop the game and find multiple rules to prove to him why his plan won't work, and he has often responded with, "Well, you're the DM. You can change the rules if you want." The final straw was when Wathros died this last time. He did not want Wathros raised, because it would result in level loss. Instead, he opted to bring in a new character. We have long had a house rule that if a new character is brought in, it will be one level below the lowest level party member. This is to discourage people from randomly discarding characters so that they can bring a newer, more buffed one, complete with all that starting gold higher level PC's get. Well, Lee didn't like that rule, and thought he should get to come in at the same level as everyone else. When he couldn't get his way, he quit. C'est la vie.

Nightingale 7

First Post
Well,it's sad to hear this was a bad break-up,but Lee seems to have the telltale signs of a problem player.I don't remember well,but was it him that played Hor'ahun in the CotSQ adventure?His characters have a history of being somewhat underpowered.Even Wathros seemed to do little compared to what a mid-high level druid is capable of.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Nightingale 7 said:
Well,it's sad to hear this was a bad break-up,but Lee seems to have the telltale signs of a problem player.I don't remember well,but was it him that played Hor'ahun in the CotSQ adventure?His characters have a history of being somewhat underpowered.Even Wathros seemed to do little compared to what a mid-high level druid is capable of.

No, Brian played Hor'ahun, and usually pretty effectively. Lee played Noir...the paladin/blackguard who died all the time.

LordVyreth

First Post
JollyDoc said:
No, Brian played Hor'ahun, and usually pretty effectively. Lee played Noir...the paladin/blackguard who died all the time.

Well THAT explains a lot. I always thought that she was played by this board's Lela. How will this effect the old Lich Queen adventure? Though w/ Gfunk gone, I don't know what the plan for that is anyway. And who played the psionic warrior? I assume that Joachim played that Zental cleric, since he only showed up when Joachim the character couldn't be part of the group.

Nightingale 7

First Post
Oh well,I stand corrected.Though I did get the impression from the story hour that Hor'ahun was not very effective.(Not that I blame him.Playing a finesse-fighter in that undead-chocked dungeon crawl is no cakewalk!)
I guess it must have been his bad luck,getting killed in the beginning of the BBEG fights:First,succumbing to the poison before reaching Irae,and then getting annihilated by Nalavara.Isn't he the guy who plays Tilly in the Cauldron storyline?A penchant for finesse-fighters,I see. :)

JollyDoc

Explorer
LordVyreth said:
Well THAT explains a lot. I always thought that she was played by this board's Lela. How will this effect the old Lich Queen adventure? Though w/ Gfunk gone, I don't know what the plan for that is anyway. And who played the psionic warrior? I assume that Joachim played that Zental cleric, since he only showed up when Joachim the character couldn't be part of the group.

If only we could be so fortunate as to have Lela at out table!

Well, Gfunk is going to be wrapping up the Lich Queen story in a very satisfactory way soon. I'm sure he will give Noir everything she deserves!

Hor'ahun was the psychic warrior played by Brian, aka Rusty in the Shackled City game, and yes Joachim/Richard played Amal, the priest of Bane, who incidentally is going on to much greater things once the Liche Queen arc is complete.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Nightingale 7 said:
Oh well,I stand corrected.Though I did get the impression from the story hour that Hor'ahun was not very effective.(Not that I blame him.Playing a finesse-fighter in that undead-chocked dungeon crawl is no cakewalk!)
I guess it must have been his bad luck,getting killed in the beginning of the BBEG fights:First,succumbing to the poison before reaching Irae,and then getting annihilated by Nalavara.Isn't he the guy who plays Tilly in the Cauldron storyline?A penchant for finesse-fighters,I see. :)

If you want to really see times when Hor'ahun shined, you should probably review Gfunks' City of the Spider Queen. As a psychic warrior, he was a bit handicapped in Liche Queen, where he to deal with primarily other scions and undead.

Actually, Tilly is played by Chris, who didn't participate in CoTSQ or Liche Queen.

Nightingale 7

First Post
The thing is,that I have read the CotSQ story-hour,but my memory fails me.(bad,bad memory! :) ).Maybe I should reread it,and pry my eyes away from Joachim and Entropy's powergaming moves. ;)

LordVyreth

First Post
Hmm, I noticed you were skipping a few things in the beginning of the Soul Pillar plotline. The half-dragon was absent (which made some sense since they skipped his dad bad in Zenith Trajectory,) and that bit in the temple with that dead adventurer from the rival party. Were you planning on bringing either back into the plot later?

JollyDoc

Explorer
LordVyreth said:
Hmm, I noticed you were skipping a few things in the beginning of the Soul Pillar plotline. The half-dragon was absent (which made some sense since they skipped his dad bad in Zenith Trajectory,) and that bit in the temple with that dead adventurer from the rival party. Were you planning on bringing either back into the plot later?

Ah, my friend, you are skipping ahead. Both of the things you mention should be appearing in Joachim's next update, and both have a big impact. Recovering the body of the dead Storm Blade will help reintroduce that plot line. The half-dragon catches up to our friends at a most inopportune time.

Remove ads