Judge Dredd maps

WilliamCQ

Explorer
I just bought some Judge Dredd small figurines that I intend to use playing the upcoming Judge Dredd RPG; they're a little big, their distance between feet is ~1" and their height ~2" but perhaps later I'll find more appropriate minis. Of course beside the book, I'll need maps.

I regularly play D&D and have some textured (as in drawings, not different material or embossing) cardboard maps with discreet markers at grid points. I'm hoping there's the same about things related to Judge Dredd, which I think would be urban and sci-fi textures. Is that a good idea? If so, any idea of how I could acquire cheap ones? When I started D&D, at the end of 4e, 3.5 settings including maps were cheap and for 4e was somewhat cheap, perhaps some other RPG could have something that would suit Judge Dredd RPG.

Thank you kindly

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That sort of thing is quite hard to come by. Fantasy maps are super common, but modern and future ones not so much.

I've been buying all the Starfinder flip-mats. They're not perfect for portraying Mega-City One, but they're the best option I can find right now. I'm keeping my eyes open though. Also, some of the Heroclix maps are quite useful.

Warlord Games has the license for 2000 AD miniatures. I don't know what their schedule is on that, or if that includes maps or terrain.

Ebay is also quite a good source for stuff like that. I bought about 20 painted Judge miniatures.

pogre

Legend
This is not a cheap alternative, but it worked well for us. Back when I ran Judge Dredd (Mongoose D20 edition) I made a bunch of sci-fi tiles from Hirst Arts molds.

Hirst Arts Sci-fi molds

These molds can make a ton of gritty, sci-fi scenes and they were great for Judge Dredd. They paint up very quickly. I used the tiles for my 40K rpgs as well.

Pegasus Hobbies makes IMEX Platformer/Hexagon that are perfect for making all kinds of 3d terrain. They are quite reasonably priced. Most of the line is available over at the war store.

Again, I know this is beyond what the OP is looking for, but perhaps some other JD enthusiasts want to take the plunge. Sadly, I sold most of my stuff and a con a few years ago.

Edit: If you know someone with a 3d printer - sci-fi terrain is widely available and looks great when printed and painted.

WilliamCQ

Explorer
I know someone with a 3D printer, but is not a friend thus I don't want to ask the person. Do you happen to know if there's somewhat cheap 3D printing non-commercial services in large cities? I guess they would only rent the time and I'd have to provide my own material. As I wouldn't have a large or continuous use of a 3D printer, I'd likely end up paying more if I purchased one, and of course maintained it.

pogre

Legend
I know someone with a 3D printer, but is not a friend thus I don't want to ask the person. Do you happen to know if there's somewhat cheap 3D printing non-commercial services in large cities? I guess they would only rent the time and I'd have to provide my own material. As I wouldn't have a large or continuous use of a 3D printer, I'd likely end up paying more if I purchased one, and of course maintained it.

I don't know about Canada, but there are several folks that do that around me. I have access to a lot of 3d printers through libraries and the university too. Many public libraries around me have maker spaces where you can print stuff.

You might also post something on a 3d printer forum or reddit - that's just a guess on my part - I have no idea how active the 3d printing community is on those types of things.

Good luck!

WilliamCQ

Explorer
I found something at what I think is cheap price, see
Judge_Dredd_RPG-purchases-180509.png

39 Heroclix maps -- Marvel, DC, TMNT, Hobbit, LotR + more!
Date de transactionDescription
Montant ($)
9 MAI 2018
PAYPAL *XXXXXXXXXX
4029357733 ON CA
9 MAI 2018
PAYPAL *GLOBALSHIP 4029357733 CT US 24,40

Lot of 5- Mega Heroes JUDGE DREDD Action Figure Packs, 1,2,3,4 & 6, 1995 MOCs
Date
Description
Montant ($)
7 MAI 2018PAYPAL *GLOBALSHIP 4029357733 CT