• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just finished new Monte Cook adventure - Temple of Mysteries: In Media Res *spoilers*

SuperFlyTNT

First Post
Ok, I just picked this up. I think I need to work it into my Eberron campaign... I have six players so you think they can make it without dieing? Should I avoid springing this on my players?

reveal

Adventurer
I wouldn't do it.

A) The chances of your players dying is too great.

B) *spoiler*
Two of them would have to die in order to be replaced by dopplegangers. But I guess you could run it without two players being dopplegangers but the way it's set up, if you don't get out when the staircase opens to allow you to do so, you're trapped forever.

Yeah, it's meant to be a standalone one-shot kind of thing. If you're inserting it into a regular campaign, you'd probably have to get rid of the dopplegangers altogether, or have the characters they replace be just captured or something. It's too harsh to just kill established characters off screen like that. Even for me. ;) You'll also lose some of the impact of the confusion of identity that is integral to the scenario. Players playing established characters will KNOW who they really are. That said, if you put this in an established campaign, you'll still have what I hope is a nifty little puzzle/trap dungeon.

But if you really want to get the full impact of this, it's meant to be a one-shot. This is the perfect little adventure to have on hand for when a game comes together at the last minute and no one has anything to run. This has all the PCs, the counters, the maps--everything is ready to go. Or you can take it to conventions with you and have it ready for the open gaming room. It's like having a complete night's gaming session, ready when you need it.

Remove ads