D&D 5E Just for fun: Dungeon Master Patron

fuindordm

Adventurer
The warlock thread inspired me to write this up. I don't pretend it's well researched or balanced, but it could make for a fun little warlock-only campaign.

Dungeon Master Patron

You are trapped in a world that is not your own, drawn there by a powerful entity that calls itself only "Dungeon Master". It manifests itself as an altruistic and humble mentor, but you do not trust its motives. More than likely, it brought you here to serve a purpose, and any promises it makes to send you home are lies. Still, what choice do you have? In order to have any hope at all, you have to play its game.

Powers

At 1st level, you can summon the Dungeon Master once per day. The Dungeon Master only appears once per day regardless of how many warlocks try to summon it. However, each warlock present can ask it one question, as an Augury Spell.

At 6th level, when you summon the Dungeon Master, one warlock present can force it to cast a beneficial spell up to 3rd level on someone other than him- or herself.

At 10th level, when you summon the Dungeon Master, one warlock present can force it to cast a beneficial spell up to 5th level on someone other than him- or herself.

Pact of the Gift:

As a symbol of your servitude, the Dungeon Master has given you a powerful magical item as a "gift". The gift allows you to cast a closely related group of spells, including one cantrip that you can use at will. You can activate the spells in the gift by spending a spell slot. If you have no spell slots remaining, you can still activate the gift once per long rest.

Example Gifts:

Longbow of the Ranger: Light, Magic Missile, Hold Person, Daylight
Cloak of the Thief: Blade Ward, Invisibility, Blur, Greater Invisibility
Club of the Barbarian: Thunderwave, Shatter
Hat of the Magician: Prestidigitation, Summon Fey, Minor Creation
Staff of the Acrobat: Shillelagh, Jump, Haste
Shield of the Cavalier: Blade Ward, Shield, Globe of Invulnerability

Note: For symmetry, each gift should have one cantrip and one spell each from levels 1 to 4 or 1 to 5. I don't think these kids will ever reach high levels, poor saps.

Invocations:

At 1st level, you gain the armor proficiencies, weapon proficiencies, and skill proficiencies granted by the class symbolized by your gift. When you gain an invocation at higher levels, you can learn one ability of the class symbolized by your gift, provided your level is equal to or greater than the level that class normally learns the ability.

Last edited:

Lanliss

Explorer
No "Rocks fall" spell? I would make it something like an 8th or 9th level spell that can be used as the mystic arcanum for a Warlock of the Dungeon master. Deals half of its dice in bludgeoning, half in Force, and covers a 100 foot radius (which must include the caster.)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Now, if you are going to have a DM Patron for Warlocks, you need a level ability to be "Rules Lawyer", you are able to convince the DM of an incorrect interprestation of the rules of your reality, allowing you to re-roll any attack, saving throw, or skill check. Once for long rest.

When I read the title I actually thought of a real life Dungeon Master patron. Like a second person behind the DM screen that helps the DM if he gets stuck or needs a clarification / hint.

Remove ads