Just got The Primal Order for $10 at a game store, wow! And a potential gamerecruit!

Aaron L

Hero
Wow, this book is really rad! I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but dang, I really dig this book. I am truly impressed by it.

Also, I was wondering: from what I've read in places, isn't 10 bucks kinda cheap for this book, or is it pretty much the going rate for it? It's in what would call near mint condition. I got it in the used books section, along with a bunch of old Call of Cthulhu books (Cthulhu Now for 10, At Your Door for 15, Terror Australis for 11, and Ghastly Adventures and Erudite Lore for 10, all NM as well. T.A. even had a fold out map insert intact and pristine!)

The closest game store is an hour away, this is the first time I've been able to get there in 2 years or so, and I'm really glad I had $100 to take with me. I consider it money well spent. I even got my non-gamer friend (who gave me a lift down) considering playing; he said that he'd considered it before but was always busy with other things, but he'd like to try it out eventually. As he's very smart and highly charismatic I think he'd make an excellent gamer, and I'm almost positive he'd enjoy it. I plan to start him out on Delta Green CoC (the game I run best) whenever he decides he wants to give it a try, and work him up to D&D from there.

All in all, I had an excellent trip today :)

Laman Stahros

First Post
Primal Order was (is) a great system that just kinda fell by the wayside when WotC bought TSR. I wish they had continued with it. :( Have fun with it. There are two or three other books in the set, though I have never been able to find a copy of the last one (Knights, I think).

grodog

Hero
I've pinged Peter Adkison about this a few times, and he's going to update it to 3.x or 4.x, eventually.

The books are fabulous, and you should definitely count yourself lucky for the $10 find (it generally sells for $20-30 on eBay), and also keep an eye out for its sequels:

• Chessboards: The Planes of Possibility
  • Knights: Strategies in Motion
  • Pawns: Pawns: The Opening Move

Good, good stuff. It's what D&DG and ELH should have been....

Khairn

First Post
I've got the full 4 book set and they are outstanding!

Entries from Pawns and Knights have made it into almost every game I've GM'ed, at an appropriate level of course. :lol: Chessboard is an amazing book that discusses the nature of planes, and all 3 of them build off of what Peter wrote in Primal Order.

If anyone is ever looking for a tool kit about the interaction between deities, their servants and the realms they call home ... find yourself a copy of the Primal Order. You will not be disappointed.

RainOfSteel

Explorer
Aaron L said:
Wow, this book is really rad! I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but dang, I really dig this book. I am truly impressed by it.
Yes, $10 is a good deal. I liked the book myself.

The question becomes, do you have the pre or post Palladium Books intervention version?

When PB found out that the first printing of tPO contained PB game conversion info, they forced WotC to eliminate it from the next printing.

Aaron L

Hero
RainOfSteel said:
Yes, $10 is a good deal. I liked the book myself.

The question becomes, do you have the pre or post Palladium Books intervention version?

When PB found out that the first printing of tPO contained PB game conversion info, they forced WotC to eliminate it from the next printing.

Post. Nary a mention of Palladium in it.

There are, however, conversion notes for World of Synnibarr :)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I remember Primal Order from back in the day, and could never find it. For some reason my local store only ever had the "Knights" book - and I wanted the first one.

Can someone who is familiar with the basic mechanical premise go over it?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I was always bumed that they never came out with the Military Order or the Economic Order or the Norse Mythology sourcebook.

And yeah, 3rd ed desperately STILL needs some good rules like those found in this book. Heck, I've used Primal in most of my games.

Remove ads