Just reposting from Heath's Geekverse

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
I don't say that because anyone should consider even for a second using any OGL stewarded by WoTC ever again--that shxt is some hot poison now--but because they're going to cause some real damage with these shenanigans.

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
For me, yeah, even if they did back down, it's been ruined. Who says this won't happen again next year or in 5 years or 10 years? Turns out they didn't need to de-authorize it, just make it toxic.
If the authorizing a decades established open license sets a legal precedent for open licenses outside the world of ttrpgs, then they very much need to back down, because they're going to disrupt a lot more than their own market.

dave2008

Legend
yeah, only thing this will fix that they put new OGL with 3.0, 3.5, 4E, 5E, 5.5E(1D&D) that is stated to be irrevocable and in perpetuity without any moral clauses.
That is what they are planning to do (except the morality clause bit); however, it remains to be seen if the get there. Personally, I don't mind a morality clause that is more clearly defined by a 3rd party and with a means for review and appeal to a 3rd party.

Horwath

Legend
That is what they are planning to do (except the morality clause bit); however, it remains to be seen if the get there. Personally, I don't mind a morality clause that is more clearly defined by a 3rd party and with a means for review and appeal to a 3rd party.
appealable to 3rd party?
Guess who can bribe 3rd party better? hasbro or some small publisher.
It's a lot safer without it completely.

Remove ads