• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just something importent to me, that I want to be seen.

Jay_Kinnear

First Post
I really don't care if you read this, I just hope the right people will, but it's importent enough at least to me to post it up twice. Thanks for your time in even reading this little bit.

Alright I may just be a kid with no game experience, and no business knowledge and frankly right now I think that's a good thing. In short there have been mistakes on both sides the past year and a half I suppose. People have been begging for more and more Rule books. The Crunch I suppose. Sword and Fist, Song and Silance, The castle book, and the Challanges book, and honestly these books haven't done as well as the Hardbacks, and frankly arent that well done in fact their quite bad half the time because their all rules, and all those numbers and rules and classes, and roles are annoying fine thank you, it may be useful but honestly not really, their much without the other half, and frankly there two expensive and too badly done for thier usefullness if any. I know honestly from a business stand point it made sense to do them, but frankly why not just do one hardback with all the Classes information, all the numbers, PcR's, stat's, and the what not, and make sure it's damn well done good, I mean seriously the Errata and what not is enough to drive a person crazy this are supposed to be useful tools, and useful does not involves downloading or having to wait for FIVE PAGES OF ERRATA fixing mistakes that could have been taking care of before the product was released, The rules can be honed the info as well. I mean look at Star Wars one and a half years after the first book is released they release a new book with the same rules and the fixes they could have done before they released it. It only takes a little work, and with a Big company like WotC yeah they are looking for the next huge big thing since Pokemon, that exploded out of nowhere but guess what like all fad's it ends, hell I don't even know if that Fifty dollar Charizard is worth anything anymore because the Fad is gone people have moved on, and yes magic is populer, but it didn't start off that way in the beginning it's had damn near ten years to grow and mature, and thanks to that growth and maturity it sells well, it's not insanely huge but it's known by certian people. I would have to say five out of ten people I meet in the average day might know what magic the gathering is. But most don't, it's a niche, that has grown over time. And yet Wizards of the Coast, and yes their owners Hasbro have since Pokemon failed tried to catch the next shooting Star, Harry Potter CCG, Star Wars Ccg, they've bought these Lisence in order to try and gain more and more money like they did with the Behemoth that was Pokemon well guess what. You can only cage it for a little while before they Behemoth smashes itself against the cage over and over and kills itself.

And then we come to DnD and hey I may not be a business major but it seems to me that the best releases they've had in the past year and a half have been books that combine everything, Rules, PrC's, Race, Stat's, and oh guess what Fluff. Book of the Planes, Forgotten Realms Core Rulebook, Oriental Adventures, Psionic Handbook, Magic of Fearun, combined all of that stuff, and they've selled like hot cakes. Gone into Reprint, been lusted after and praised, and hell they where well done, without hundreds of Errors, and are big thick heavy books. If they want to make the most money it would seem wise to follow this pattern at least to me and hey guess what I don't have a huge business degree, and hell yeah I may be wrong, but if the quality of the Product is high, and well done then it's going to do well, I know The Book of Vile Darkness is going to be good, and I am damn well going to get it as soon as I can, because I know that quality of work, art, stories, and rules are going to be there, it's a combination of all those things. You can't have one without the other I guess what I'm trying to say, and by focusing on one thing your going to kill it off as well because after a while people are going to look at the Rules and go hey I'm sick of Rules it's boring, I want something more and move onto something else that has what they want. Can't have one without the other and if you do focus on one thing your going to kill it.

And I suppose there are other factors too. But honestly I could probably focus on five good ones. First off favoring one thing over the other, if you do that eventually your going to kill it do to overexposure. Hell it's like plants almost if you leave it out in the sun too long it's going to wither and die, and if you give it too much water it's going to become soggy and die, you have to have a balance and hey yeah there's the Lawful good vs Chaotic evil axis once more if there is no balance, no shades of grey in between those two forces their just going to headbutt each other until they both die from head trauma, you can't have Rules without a setting to use them in. The next thing is advertising I mean it really is pretty pathitic when you think about it, Dungeons and Dragon's is know throughout the world it seems hell it's as North America as TV, showbiz, sex, and pie. I Knew about Dungeon and Dragons for years before I finally found out exactly what it is. I mean damn it that's pretty damn odd huh, and yet the main representation of it to the world is that pathitic Dungeon and Dragon's cartoon and that stupid as hell, pathitic excuse of a Z Movie. I mean for god sakes take some pride in your work and your product, cause what kind of example are you setting to the world in general that this work of art game. This piece of art that is the Tabletop Rpg world is that dumb. Last time I checked and this maybe just me the game I play the Dungeon and Dragons I know and Love isn't about some idiot kids, and their Unicorn but an Epic Setting of magic, and Warrior Kings, the stuff of countless Legends and Myths, the works of ages, and I can be a part of that, I can be that King, I can forge those legends, I can be anything I want to be without limits, and instead of showing this, instead of bringing it to the fore, we show them pieces of living dung like that. Now I'm sorry if that seems like a rant, because I was trying to prove my point. It seems to me in general that the industry is projecting the wrong image, and not saying the right things, if the Players had know That Lords of Darkness had the PcR's they craved, the Spell they lusted for, and Magic items they could never get enough of, they would have picked it up in an instant, and if the DM knew it listed in detail every single minute of Fzoul's day, and that's just to be literal, they would have picked it up as well cause you know what? It's useful to both of them not just one of the other. A balance, but nope most ended up thinking it was just a big huge book of Npc Stats for a DM, and missed the magic inside. And I guess that's what I mean by the advertising sucks. I think in general the reason 3E started of so well, why I was willing to spend so much damn money on the Three Core Rulebooks, and then the FRCR is because I knew what I was putting my money down for, you couldn't open a Gaming magizine without finding out what was coming, and it seems to me it damn well worked. But I maybe wrong. The next is sheer slopiness on some of the books produced in the last year and a half, and this seems to mainly be those smaller thinner books, the Class books, the Challanges books, the Thing books, they seemed sloppy, then seemed to be a waste of my hard earned money, they basically in general sucked, and I think I have to put Faiths and Patheons into the same boot, they focused too lightly on the material, or they wasted a great deal of space, now personally if I was running the Dungeon and Dragon's branch of Wizards of the Coast I would have looked at our big hardcover books and realized hey this is good, this makes sense, Why publish five Class books when I can do a spiffy and impressive Core Class book, make it have all the infromation in one spot, instead of a hundred different places, put them all in one spot cause yeah this player may say Rogues ROCK, and mages suck but hey maybe one day he'll say well I want to play something different what haven't I done, and he'll go over that chapter devoted to Wizards, and say hey I think I might try this, it looks interesting to me, but because of the way the class book was done, he can't really do that can he, he can't look in depth on a wizard, and it's not like he's going to go out and spend the money on a book he heard is really sloppy and badly done, it'd be a waste of his money, and if he's thinking that, the most likely so are a whole bunch of people, so take some pride in your work because it's good stuff, the hard Covers are impressive, and they really do make more sense, but hey might not be commerical viable, but you know what I think they might just be. Sorry if I'm repeating myself. The next two points I'm going to touch on really quickly, the first is cancelling something before it's really grown, Chainmail was what killed off Nine months after it was released, before it really gained steam, and the second is paying redicalous amounts of money over something that may damn well fail, and I'm going to be blunt, The Star Wars Trading card game, and Harry Potter will never make as much money as Pokemon, that was a fad that burned out quickly, so are these. And we as the players bitch a hell of a lot, maybe we should step back and realize that yeah we may not like paying for the book, but that it's going to last us nearly forever, especially if it's good, and even if we got the source book five years old, things change, I mean yeah Peter Parker is Dating Mary Jane when you first read your Spider Man comic, but hey five years has past, and not their married, things don't stay the same forever, and sometimes change is bloody good.

In any case I maybe just rambling but I've got one last thing to say, someone said on the boards how Lord of the Rings is mostly crunch, but you know what it's a combination of both, there are some well thought out extremely detailed things in that series the history and languages of the Elves, and the Dwarves, I mean honestly how many authors go into that much detail about how to speak, and even make a language, that had never been done before in liturature I believe not once, ever, and here he did it, but over this extremely, extremely intiricite shell he added a casing and that is the story which is told, the Adventures and Struggles of the Fellowship of the ring, thier loves, their hopes and their dreams, he brought those cultures he devolped, that history he created to life, because without the one, the other doesn't work, without the story, and the characters, could you honestly say you'd give a damn about their history, and this odd language know as Elven?

Now I think I've made my point and I'm sorry if this is too long but I think it needed to be said, there has to be a balance, if they did that hey I'd buy the books instead we have to search for the great among the medicore. You make your own destiny, but without balance your going to die quickly. So my vote is this, give me both of them, preferable at the same time, because if you don't you'll kill it off.

There I'm done, that's it. Just a fan who's loved this game for a very long time. And in the early hours of the morning I lay my thought's bare to you.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
First, just a friendly recommendation: try to split up what you write into smaller paragraphs. Blocks of text like that are hard on the eyes.

I don't think many would really dispute too much of what you say in general.

I will say this about the splatbooks WotC put out: they're not that bad. They get a much worse rap than they deserve. In general, they're fun and inventive. The assertion about five pages or more of errata is also a bit misleading; a lot of that stuff was simply made up of grammatical errors. You don't see that much errata from most other RPG companies for a very important reason: they don't release any errata. There are only a tiny few RPG companies that even go to the bother of providing errata - WotC and Steve Jackson Games being two of the main ones.

Personally, I don't have lot of use for fluff. I have plenty of books, movies, and my own imagination to come up with that kind of material. I'm not too interested in coming up with game mechanics on my own, so the crunch is more along the lines of what I want. Still, I wouldn't want there to be no fluff. Sometimes it's useful to me, but only very occasionally. I agree that a balance is needed. SKR's recent revelation about the fluff side of the equation being in danger is something which I see as a negative - after a while, all crunch and no fluff makes for a dull, overloaded game.

EDIT: Oh yeah - Stronghold Builder's Guidebook and The Book of Challenges are absolutely not sloppy. They're two of the best books WotC has put out recently. Book of Challenges especially is looking like a classic; a very useful book.

Last edited:

Darraketh

First Post
Jay_Kinnear said:
Now I think I've made my point and I'm sorry if this is too long but I think it needed to be said, there has to be a balance, if they did that hey I'd buy the books instead we have to search for the great among the medicore. You make your own destiny, but without balance your going to die quickly. So my vote is this, give me both of them, preferable at the same time, because if you don't you'll kill it off.

There I'm done, that's it. Just a fan who's loved this game for a very long time. And in the early hours of the morning I lay my thought's bare to you.

To be honest, I gave up reading halfway through, the first time you posted this, because you are rambling. But since you posted this twice I read the whole thing from the beginning.

Yes it was too long. But just like you would have WOTC do with their books, you need to strike some sort of balance in your posts.

I agree there should be a balance between crunch and fluff in the books that WOTC publishes for its RPGs.

As a side note, I can't help thinking of all those setting submissions that are being read by a handful of WOTC employees.
--
Please don't consider my response a flame.

Simon Magalis

First Post
LOL, oh my goodness. I am an English teacher and that was painful for me (although I should be used to it). Like the post above, this is not a flame. If you want people to take your ideas seriously, you must first be more to the point and clear with your writing. Spellcheck is useful too. If what you wrote has merit, no one will ever know which is unfortunate considering the time you put into it. Try reading what you have writted to yourself out loud and you will see what I mean. Sorry to be so critical; its in my blood I guess.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Why so much errata? Because you can't hire the normal proofreader, you need someone who knows the game inside out. The editor supposedly knows the game, but really who knows it well enough to catch every mistake? Then there are the clarifications needed because what was clear to those who know the game might not be clear to someone new.
While D&D is play-tested, probably more than any other game in our industry, it is a game of imagination, and when all of us rules-lawyers get our hands on anything, we are going to find more mistakes, more ambiguous rules, more broken rule combinations than the good editors and any army of playtesters could ever find.

Berk

First Post
First to Simon,

LOL, oh my goodness. I am an English teacher and that was painful for me (although I should be used to it). Like the post above, this is not a flame. If you want people to take your ideas seriously, you must first be more to the point and clear with your writing. Spellcheck is useful too. If what you wrote has merit, no one will ever know which is unfortunate considering the time you put into it. Try reading what you have writted to yourself out loud and you will see what I mean. Sorry to be so critical; its in my blood I guess.

writted? *blink*

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Simon Magalis said:

Sure, the large paragraphs are a pain on the eyes, but you can't really blame the guy for ranting in a stream-of-concious style. Hell, James Joyce is a literary icon and I can't for the life of me get through one page of his writing and have any flaming clue what's going on.

More to the point, I don't really think WOTC is doing that bad of a job. Okay, from a business standpoint they've been doing poorly, but I've been pleased so far with just about everything I've bought. Maybe I'm more forgiving than most. I can usually look past errata and such because I respect how hard it is to write these products. They have a lot of people to please and they obviously can't please everyone. Plus, with as many people as those books have to pass through, someone is bound to make a mistake somewhere, and thus the typos. Too many cooks spoil the broth, as they say.

Granted, only a few products from WOTC have really *impressed* me (MoTP, FRCS, MoF among others) whereas I've had a much higher success rate among d20 publishers. But WOTC can't really afford to do many products which only appeal to a small subset of the population. What counts as a bestseller for a small d20 company would barely register on WOTC's radar.

And just for the record, it didn't take magic 10 years to get big. It was pretty big from the very beginning. How do you think wizards got enough money to buy tsr, anyways? :)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
thalmin said:
Why so much errata? Because you can't hire the normal proofreader, you need someone who knows the game inside out. The editor supposedly knows the game, but really who knows it well enough to catch every mistake? Then there are the clarifications needed because what was clear to those who know the game might not be clear to someone new.
While D&D is play-tested, probably more than any other game in our industry, it is a game of imagination, and when all of us rules-lawyers get our hands on anything, we are going to find more mistakes, more ambiguous rules, more broken rule combinations than the good editors and any army of playtesters could ever find.

Hear, hear, Curt! Well said. Though you have to admit, Sword and Fist was a train wreck... :(

Harlock

First Post
I weep tears of... something after reading your entire post. Bravo!

I beleive it was Henry David Thoreau who wrote, "I am sorry to think that you do not get a man's most effective criticism until you provoke him. Severe truth is expressed with some bitterness. "

And a laugh.

WizarDru

Adventurer
I have to echo two sentiments: you need to be more concise in your writing and grammar; the WOTC class books are generally better than most folks want to admit.

Generally speaking, everything after the core three rulebooks is pure candy, and will never sell as well as they do. Furthermore, people's tastes differ. I personally consider the FRCS to be far less useful to me than say, the PsiHB or the Epic Level Handbook. Other people probably couldn't work without it. As the Colonel points out, 'crunch' material is often more valuable to some, as it features things I don't have the time to playtest and balance. I have endless inspiration material to create my own campaign settings, adventures and other 'fluff' material. I have far less time to create and balance new classes, feats, spells and so on.

I don't consider S&F to be a failure, just a less-than-wildly-successful first attempt. The biggest conceptual failure, IMHO, was Song & Silence, for playing it far too safe and not innovating very much. Everyone agreed that it required little errata...because there was very little material in it to really be a subject for concern. Compare and contrast with the Deep Woods Sniper, for example.

I can't speak to the experience of others, but my own experience with higher-level D&D illustrates that the increasing level of complexity of the game means that everyone is going to occasionally lose track of factors. Introducing new game elements will only further complicate balance issues. This is inherent in the system, and not necessarily the fault of clumsy design. Even the designers can make mistakes...and when thousands of clever players are constantly poking holes in the system, they'll find loopholes. Errata addresses these issues, as often as it does correct typos. Consider, for example, how many spells a 15th level party will have active, going into a combat. Add in the effects of all their magic items. Now imagine how a single new feat could affect all of them.

Finally, consider the fact that WOTC has yet to have released an unsuccesful 3E product, to my knowledge. Products may have underperformed, but nothing has failed the way that some TSR products did. WOTC is far more measured in their release schedule and their quality control. Recalling the signal-to-noise ratio of late 1E and 2E days, WOTC has maintained a healthy balance of releases, keeping it's customer base eager for new releases, not dreading them.

Glad to hear you express your views...but next time a little focus would make them much easier to hear. :)

Remove ads