• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just when I thought there might have been hope for the second D&D movie...

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

What lame news. They are not taking this project seriously. They are trying to turn D&D into some kind of pop phenomenon. Damn, so much good material for a great movie wasted because they are popularizing the movie.

barsoomcore said:
Man, did you have to say it out loud? Now we're cursed for sure. :D

If Number Two opens and the first thing we all say is, "This is worse than I imagined," we're all coming looking for you. Just so you know.
Won't be the first time I've been in trouble for something I said. Although that usually happens at home... ;)
barsoomcore said:
I think we've discovered a fault line in our tastes, JD. Cause I'll take Street Fighter over Mortal Kombat any day of the week. It had Sumo wrestlers struggling in a balsa-wood Tokyo! Raul Julia and Ming-Na Wen! Public Enemy, Ice Cube, LL Cool J and Pharcyde!

What did Mortal Kombat have? Christopher Lambert and that Cary-Hiroyuki guy who always plays the bad Asian guy. Oh, and Talisa Soto. No Sumo wrestlers, though.

Tell me I'm crazy.
Sorry, you're crazy. I'm not saying Mortal Kombat was a good movie by any means. But it did have a much less ludicrous plot than Street Fighter. It was marginally better acted, it had much better effects, and a much better screenplay and dialogue. And it had Talisa Soto.

Plus Street Fighter wasn't made for the loyal, intelligent fans. :p

Celtavian said:
What lame news. They are not taking this project seriously. They are trying to turn D&D into some kind of pop phenomenon. Damn, so much good material for a great movie wasted because they are popularizing the movie.
I'm not following you Celt-bird. How is that a bad thing? Especially next to the alternative: i.e., creating another movie in the same vein as the original?

NeoSamurai

First Post
The problem with the first one is that the writers for the movie never played the game. They just got access to tons of Wizards of the Coast books, looked at the pictures and some of the material and were like: "Let's toss this in because it will look kewl."

Magic dust-- feh!
Subpar Beholders-- bah!
wussy dragons with no intelligence-- aaarrgggh!

The movie would've been somewhat greater if those hacks had at least played a game of DnD to know the limitations and advantages of the character classes, creatures, and to get an adequate understanding of the genre (that being RPG derived movies). Hell, they could've read the Greyhawk setting or something similar to piece together a decent movie.

Freakin' hacks.

Endur

First Post
The problem is that Hollywood doesn't have a clue.

If you want a great fantasy movie, you take a great fantasy book as your source.

i.e. The Lord of the Rings. Conan. Tarzan. etc.

D&D is not a book. If they want to make a D&D movie, they should pick one of the D&D books to base it on.

DragonLance. The Crystal Shard (first Drizzt). One of the other (decent) novels. It doesn't matter which, but they need a novel to base it on. Not just the game.

Zappo

Explorer
Passion, talent and professionalism aren't mutually exclusive. Nor is one the excuse for lack of the others. The D&D franchise is not being taken seriously, despite having an enormous potential; that's irritating to say the least.

MEG Hal

First Post
Other news...

Another factoid...
Silver is in charge of the new reality TV show The Last Action Star where one male and female star in their own movie that he produces...could we be so blessed to have them get D&D 2------ :confused: .

Just more food for thought.

arnwyn said:
I think that's pretty clear.
Well, then please elucidate. I still don't think her off-screen antics, her many movie cameos, or her "performance" on the unscripted reality show that's made her into the celebrity of the week are any indication of whether or not she's got a good acting performance in her or not. With the exception of takyris, who pointed to a specific performance that he thought was subpar, I haven't seen anybody show in any way, shape or form that we really know anything about Paris Hilton's ability to act.

Now granted, I don't particularly like Paris Hilton. I don't think she's really all that attractive, and I wouldn't in the least be surprised to find that she can't act at all. But the Chicken Little-ness of this thread is absolutely astounding.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads