• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keeping the dead... dead.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Animate the corpse and throw it off the edge of Sigil. If I recall correctly, not even wish level magic can return someone or something from that particular Void.

Styxing him before killing him should help, too-- it'll make him less likely to willingly accept resurrection from his allies. If you can catch him alive and mostly incapacitated, I think you can use mindwipe and psychic chirurgery to make him irreparably and utterly useless to his allies-- no sense bringing him back if he doesn't remember anything and can't do anything.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Thanee said:
Dunno, if it has been mentioned, I noticed a special material for weapons in CW, which allows to trap the soul of a slain victim.
You beat me to it.

"Thinaun", Complete Warrior p 136, traps the soul of any creature touching the weapon when the creature dies. The creature can't be raised/resurrected in any way unless you have the weapon nearby. (In the latter case you only pay half the material component for the spell.)

moritheil

First Post
William_2 said:
The fact that a spell to keep evil souls in the afterlife is not a fundamental one for divine magic is very odd. Even given that the spells in D&D are largely about combat, and don’t represent at all well the magic a society as a whole would try to discover, the lack of this power is a glaring omission, I think.

This is not odd in the least with respect to divine magic. With respect to arcane magic, it IS a bit odd, but if you were a deity and one of the main draws of your faith was the ability to bring anyone back from the dead, wouldn't you want to stomp on this up-and-coming mage who was researching a way to undermine all that? It would be an issue of personal pride as well as business.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
If he's not a spellcaster, baleful polymorph him into a toad and carry him around in a cage.

Otherwise, the imprisonment and binding spells are made for this kind of thing.

Remove ads