Keeping the players guessing without working hard ...

Von Ether

Legend
I'm still digesting Spycraft 2.0 and one of the things I've noticed is the "sliding scale" and "damage save" mechanics for minor NPCs. Basically, mooks and monsters are listed by "Tiered" modifers that are based on the level of the players. A minor thug may still be a minor challenge consistantly no matter what level. The "stat" line for these guys is just three lines of text, four or five if they have some exotic abilities. Then you grab a chart to find the modifiers based on PC level.

In my own game, I've fallen in love with G.R.'s Advanced Beastiary. It's also allowed me to "run" psionics. I'm just using Psychic templates with mental spells while my players use the XPH bok.

I don't have the game, but I've hear that Iron Heroes has a simlar set up. The player get lots of options in combos and play, but the GM can set up high level NPCs in minutes.

While some companies have been simplifing the game overall to help out the GM, it seems there's another experiment that seems to be trying to give both parties (players and GM) the best of both worlds.

Could you eventually you get a game that give both parties an equal amount of invovlement, the PC offering a seperate "mini-game" of sorts that the player twinks and fiddles with all week while the GM gets a set up where can design the end epic adventure in the same amount of time as a first level mission?

Last edited:

Remove ads