• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kensai Requirements

pbd

First Post
I am currently playing a fighter. He is at 3rd level and I am looking into prestige classes for the future. Kensai, from "complete warrior" seems like a good choice, it fits his personality and the campaign well, but the skill requirements seem a little strange. Basically you need 5 ranks in 2 non-fighter class skills, concentration and diplomacy, and the class is definately fighter oriented. Does the 5 ranks include ability bonusses and skill focus feat bonus? If not, not only do you have to wait until 7th level to gain the class, but you need to burn 20 skill points to get it. Has anyone used this prestige class and how did you handle the requirements?

Much thanks.

Kale78

First Post
Yeah, I know what you mean, I've seen other classes like that where you have to burn skill points or feat slots on stupid stuff, unfortunately that's how it goes. When it says "5 ranks" it means skill ranks only, no ability bonuses or feats count towards that.

hafrogman

Adventurer
It does indeed mean ranks. The point is the class isn't designed for fighters. It's designed for paladins mainly. Nothing is to stop a fighter from taking the class, you just have to wait longer.

James McMurray

First Post
Take a few levels of cleric. You'll get 2nd level spells, only lose one BAB, and get two domain powers. You will lose one or two feats, depending on when you take the levels. But it'll give you the skills you need to take the class.

Enforcer

Explorer
The Samurai from Complete Warrior qualifies rather easily for this Prestige Class. Given the kensai's oriental flavor, this makes a lot of sense.

sledged

First Post
Paladins, monks, and samurai

The kensai was designed mainly for paladins, monks, and samurai. And in fact there is a note which states that should any paladins, monks, or samurai become a kensai they may continue advancing in the original class.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
pbd said:
I am currently playing a fighter. He is at 3rd level and I am looking into prestige classes for the future. Kensai, from "complete warrior" seems like a good choice, it fits his personality and the campaign well, but the skill requirements seem a little strange. Basically you need 5 ranks in 2 non-fighter class skills, concentration and diplomacy, and the class is definately fighter oriented. Does the 5 ranks include ability bonusses and skill focus feat bonus? If not, not only do you have to wait until 7th level to gain the class, but you need to burn 20 skill points to get it. Has anyone used this prestige class and how did you handle the requirements?

Much thanks.
Personally, I think concentration fits the image of the Kensai perfectly, however I'm more than a little lost with the diplomacy requirement.

I'd see if your DM will allow you some different prerequisites, prefereably including a non-combat feat (skill focus diplomacy and skill focus concentration are good possibilities to make up for ranks in the skill).

Otherwise, pick up the feat that gives you 5 skill points from the PsiHB a couple of times. I'd suggest taking one level in monk at the level you take it. Then you can fulfill all of your prereqs in a level or so.

myradale

First Post
As a monk who's tried to get into the Kensai class (which seems an obvious fit), the concentration and diplomacy skills seem to make a lot more sense to me than the ride skills or other restrictions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads